I need to know this crucial information. When you are in the shower, will you please count how long it takes your hair to get completely wet? Report back to me right here. Thank you.

Do it like this: one one thousand (slight pause), two one thousand, (slight pause), etc.

It takes me eight one thousands. I just know I'm a freak. Well, I'm a freak for asking in general, but then also because I am Chaka from Land of the Lost, with this hair.

39 thoughts on “Chaka count

1. Peggy says:

I got to about 7-1/2. And I’ve lost about 1/3 to 1/2 of my hair thickness, since my hysterectomy…

2. Capri Kel says:

Chaka! LOL
    You furry little cave teen!

3. sister golden hair says:

I tried to remember to do this but I failed. I’m pretty sure I’d forget the number even if I counted though. Anywhoo it is probably around a 2 or 3 one thousand count to get the hair wet . I have that stubborn straight hair that doesn’t take long to wash or dry…..but those two things are the only styling techniques that the hair will permit. Anyting else attempted will be rejected with severe prejudice.

4. Diane says:

I will have to let you know after my shower tomorrow morning, but think it will be several one thousands. I have short hair, but it is also very thick and coarse. Often when getting a shampoo at the hairdresser’s, she will ask if the water is too hot, and it hasn’t even penetrated enough for me to feel anything yet.

5. Leah says:

Took me 4 mississippi’s…sorry I didn’t follow directions just right.

Oh, yeah. MaryLee reminded me. Mom, I do blow my hair dry now, as I have to be at work and I no longer have the LA 5-hour commute in which my hair would dry in the way. Fortunately I have that 8 million dollar blow dryer I got free when my hairdresser got fired, remember that?

7. Kat says:

About 2.5 thousands. Is this like the “how many licks to get to the Tootsie Roll centre of a Tootsie Pop?” commercial?

8. MARYlee says:

I have a question for Mother. How does one dry ones hair “artificially”.
    It took me 5 Mississippi’s to get mine wet and 16 Mississippi’s to get it rinsed. About 9 Mississippi’s to smear on the conditioner. Approximately 14 Mississippi’s later, I had the conditioner rinsed too.

9. Jessica S says:

Hmm I’m going to guess 6. I find it interesting that Your Pal from MA shampoos 2x and conditions once. I shampoo once and condition twice.

10. 12 counts – but I was also having contractions because I’m 35 weeks pregnant – so my “normal” count is likely less. 🙂

11. Culpepper says:

2 for me 9 for my daughter. Question. Have you ever gone swimming for several hours and when you get out of the water you find that the underneath part of your hair has never gotten wet? My daughter does that all the time. Her hair is like duck hair…wet on top and dry underneath.

12. M says:

I read where requests for the Atetha hat are flooding in.Oh really??? Is it April Fools Day already, cause I feel a joke coming on.

13. Hautemama says:

I probably wouldn’t get to the Mississippi part… my hair is very very fine.

14. Miriam Napier says:

I’m almost as bad as you. I get to 6. I LOVED Land of the Lost and know what you are talking about. Also LOVE anything Laura Ingalls Wilder and didn’t even know there was a tour!

15. 3 Missippis. Probably 2 if I were to be totally honest but I have always longed for thicker hair so I padded by one Mississippi.

16. Jenene says:

A whopping two seconds. I can’t wait to hear how and why you got to thinking about this.

17. Pendy says:

I am one of the short, thin hair people, so count me in for 2 Mississippis.

18. Mother says:

It just takes a couple of seconds to get my hair wet, and when I get out of the shower it is already drying. I hardly need to use the hairdryer. I know that you do not dry your hair artificially June.

19. othermama says:

One and I barely got the word thousandth out. I only do one shampoo application. I think two is a waste of money and too drying for my hair.

20. Girly Stuff says:

How long to get the conditioner out of your hair?

21. Ree says:

I got to “wu”
    Oh, wait, that’s right. I have no hair. Take that Kim with the short fine hair.
    Now, ask me how long it takes to get my wig wet…

22. Kim says:

As a man with very short, fine hair, I think I am the winner of the shortest duration at two one thousand. A bottle of shampoo lasts me forever!

23. Kinderslee says:

Is this post a test run to see how you’ll do at world domination? I can just see all these followers obediently counting in the shower this morning..
    😉

24. bell says:

I have already showered today so I can’t give you the count, but I do know that if I just stand under the shower without ushering streams of water to the underground world of my hair, that area will never get wet. I could stand under the water all day long and the hair underneath would never ever get wet. Does this happen to you, June?

25. PlumCow says:

Odd question June. I counted 8 to wet it, a whole lot more to rinse it, and I gave up counting when drying it. I’m workin from home so who cares really?

26. Your Pal from MA says:

I’m about a 4 one thousand kinda gal. I shampoo twice, too. And then use conditioner.
    Fascinating.

27. chacha says:

Why “Chaka”? As in “Chaka Khan”?
    Anyway, 3-mississippi/thousand/banana, whatever. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the dryness of my hair.
    Frankie is probably close to 8 count with her mass of hair…

28. Erin D. says:

Mine takes forever too. And it takes a SWEET forever to dry. I shower at night, so I’ll have to report an actual # later.
    I forget now where I originally read a review of Lorraine Massey’s “Curly Girl” book. Was it from you? Anyway, I got the book, and I haven’t used shampoo since December 24th.

29. Burfica says:

It takes me between three and four one thousands, cuz I have really short hair and put my whole head under the spray.

30. Gladys says:

Oh and I wanted to add. Why do I now have that song in my head? I Feel For You. “Chaka Kahn, Chaka Kahn…”

31. Nicole says:

I got to 3-one thousand and then had to stop counting because one of my crazies had to know right then and there which shirt looked better with her jeans. UH, they are jeans??? Anyone? Does a shirt go better or worse with the COLOR of denim? I am not sure, so that was the debate of the morning which distracted me from finishing your challenge. Sorry, I will try again tomorrow.
    DeNada – Nicole

32. Gladys says:

It takes 9 Mississippis to get my hair wet all the way through. Now it takes about 4000 to get the shampoo all the way out of my hair.

33. M says:

1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi 3 Mississippi 4 Mississippi, stop readjust the hot water,5 Mississippi 6 Mississippi,decide which shampoo to use.The one for fine brittle hair or the one that will make me feel like a young sexy thick haired sex bomb.Rewet my hair 7 Mississippi 8 Mississippi.Anyway somewhere about 14 Mississippis

34. Paula, FNY, D says:

Since I channel Swee’ Pea in the hair department, I’m not sure I can even use Mississippis. Is it okay if I count off in Guams? I suspect tomorrow’s experiment will sound something like, “One Guam.” Pause. “Two Gu–,” but I’ll let you know.

35. Bonnie says:

I can’t deal in numbers and Mississippis. All I know is I don’t get a true lather until the second shampoo application.

36. Sleeping Beauty says:

I already know the answer because I’m a total freak too. Nine mississippis. Now how many mississippis does it take you to blow dry your hair? That I know too: 60 mississippis times 5. You’re welcome.

37. J says:

With an 8 Mississippi count, it’s a damn good thing you aren’t a bath girl. You could be drowned by now!

38. Cat says:

As a Mississippi girl, I must correct you June. The proper way to count off seconds is one Mississippi, two Mississippi. Please note that this is the only time we Mississippians pronounce the word that way. Otherwise, it’s Mis’sippi.

39. It takes my daughter approximately 6 hours.