I know what I forgot to tell you. Our dog? Our big, tough, part pit bull? Suddenly terrified of the microwave. Any time it is in use, she trembles and climbs on my lap. I have been trying to get her to play with her duck or give her treats to distract her, but she keeps looking at me with enormous eyes, like, "How can you think of the duck at a time like this? The MICROWAVE is IN USE!" That dog is as nutty as a fruitcake. She acts like I do when I'm at the dentist. Does anyone have a similar experience, or was I just sent the world's most neurotic dog?

28 thoughts on “Oh, wait

1. Mrs. K says:

Mr. Steady says to check to make sure your microwave isn’t leaking around the door seal. The micro waves might be affecting Lula.

2. My parents’ dog is afraid of the toaster. But I think it’s because my mom has a tendency to burn the toast and set off the smoke alarm, so the dog has come to associate the toaster with the really loud beeping noise.

3. Gin says:

Isn’t she close to 2 years old now? They change when they hit the 18mos-3 year mark. Some sort of odd maturation/neurosis thing. Good luck. Nola is now called Gator due to her snappiness at absolutely nothing. Next time, I’m getting an older dog.

4. erin says:

our husky fears trash bags like the apocalypse. my husband chases her around with one every time we take the trash out. bahahahaha!

5. Barb says:

Our Sookie, yellow lab is also afraid of the vacuum. she runs as far as she can away and hides. She actually has tried to jump into the kitchen sink and out the kitchen window..
    She does have sensitive hearing. Funny to watch though.

6. Sleeping Beauty says:

isn’t there some old adage (what the hell’s an “old adage”?) about the pet turning into a mirror image of the owner?

7. Dunixi says:

My new husky is afraid of everything but the mop. lol He tries to play with the mop. But he was in a pen with his two larger brothers and I think they bullied him. I have a 4lb cat and a 15lb cat…and he won’t even look at them. Loud noises, he jumps. Too quiet? he jumps. Small shi-tzu ankle biter dog? he ran away from it. The sled he was whelped to pull? Turns him catatonic and he won’t move.

8. Marsha says:

We have 2 border collie/kelpie sisters – Sadie & Josie. I think they are both neurotic to some extent but Josie more than Sadie. We recently got a new refrigerator and dishwasher – stainless. Our kitchen is galley style and the refrigerator on one side and the dishwasher on the other. In between is the kitchen/doggie door. They were terrified to even come in through the door at first – I guess their reflection scared them. They go nutso when the water runs or the ice dumps – bark, bark, bark, bark!! Phone rings – barking. Phone rings on TV – more barking. Doorbell rings on TV – you got it – barking. And Josie “talks” to us by snapping her teeth. Sometimes she’s really telling us off! And she also snaps outside at the flies. Oh – and we’re sure the SPCA is going to be knocking on our door any second because they will tear out through the doggie door (which gets replaced yearly) with Josie yelping like she’s being beaten. Neurotic for sure. Fun? Absolutely!
    BTW – I’m new to your blog and I think you are heelarious – definitely “book dealable”!!

9. M says:

Make her a helmet out of tinfoil, that will fix it.

10. Jan says:

Bailey, our American Bulldog, is very smart. She is, however, terrified of the the vacuum. She used to run either upstairs or downstairs to get away from it, (away from wherever I was vacuuming). Now she will leave the general vicinity, but continues to hang around, even coming thisclose to the vacuum before scurrying away. She started this when I was pregnant and I finally had my AHA! moment when I was vacuuming and the baby was in his swing. She kept getting between the baby and the vacuum. I think she is trying to protect me (and anyone else in the room) from the vacuum. Because if she is scared of it then we all must be, too. Either that or she is just too dang stupid to just completely leave the room.
    She is also afraid of our 10 pound black and white cat. She weighs almost 80 lbs. She could kill him if she wanted to. He totally rules over her with an iron fist (paw). He will literally hide behind a corner, jump out at her and then run around the corner to where she is running away from him and be there to scare her again. It is pretty funny.

11. Tarva says:

This has absolutely nothing to do with this post but I wanted you to know that your blog was in your BlogHer ad. How cool.
    Also, I really need to e-mail you an update on June – the cute puppy that has turned into the wildest DAMN dog ever. Oh yeah, the pit bull DNA must be in EVERY single rescue dog.

12. Lee says:

Has Marvin been doing experiements in the micro that may have upset her? Hmmmm? Is his classroom missing the class pet hamster? Has he been watching Fatal Attraction and decided to skip the pot of boiling water and go straight to the micro??? HMMM????

13. Hyphen Mama says:

I’ve been blessed with a neurotic Border Collie who’s so smart he could build a space ship, but is so afraid of fireworks and power tools that he’d never get his contraption off the ground. It’s a bummer, really. He had great potential for space travel. I keep thinking it’s time to take him back to the Pet Psychic for re-programming, but it annoys the heck out of him when she gets inside his head, so I’ve decided to let him be neurotic.

14. Sue says:

Our little dog, Sally (Blue Heeler), is the most scaredy, scared dog we have ever owned. Phone rings = scared. Someone sneezes = scared. Drop anything = scared. I wish I could figure out why. She has been like this since she was a puppy. Our big dog, Hank (Vizsla), too stupid to be scared of anything.

15. Christy says:

To Cyndi, I heard on the radio about a guy that was laying on his bed and the dog came in and started barking at the ceiling fan. The guy got off the bed to get the dog out of there and the ceiling fan fell on the bed. It freaked him out, and me too, but he said they can sense things we can’t. Good times.

16. Cyndi says:

Our dog (who coincidentally is named Ruby) is deathly afraid of the ceiling fan in our bedroom. Sometimes she will stand on the bed and suddenly remember that it’s there. She gives it a suspicious look and runs out of the room, even if no one is near the switch.

17. Karen says:

I had a dog in college. A Miniature Schnauzer who hated the sound of a poot. If we needed to do something without Bradley underfoot, we simply made a pooting noise with our mouth. No, not the real thing because I am, after all, a proper, southern gal. The minute he heard it….GONE…for at least 30 minutes. It was convenient at times.

18. Arlen says:

I wonder if it’s emitting a sound she can hear (that hurts!) that you can’t?

19. Denise in Las Vegas says:

I brought home some bubbles that were a wedding favor. The cat loved them, Barkley loved them. Peanut hid under the table. He’s also afraid of the plastic bag the newspaper comes in when it’s rainy outside.
    I feel your pain.

20. beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep says:

Maybe its that f-ing beeping noise that goes on for eons when the food is ready. That sound could make any species lose their mind.
    What usually happens after you use the microwave? It might be a signal to her that something she doesn’t like(you leaving for work) is about to happen.

21. Gladys says:

OMG I’m crying over Aimee “Grab the smelling salts, Mabel!” hysterics… I am going to steal this line.

Can’t help you there, I’m cats only.

23. Kelly says:

I think all dogs have some sort of neurosis. My dog is terrified of Wii, yes the Nintendo game. Every single time we turn on the game or bring out the Wii fit board he tucks tail and runs out the doggy door. He also makes this hysterical face and tries to climb on my lap as if to tell me “TURN IT OFF!”. For some reason this makes me love him more, I like imperfection in people and animals.

24. Molly says:

My dog loves the microwave, because when I feed him dinner, I pour some water over his kibble and microwave it for 30 seconds so it’s wet and warm, and more like a freshly-dead animal than preservative-laden meat-nuggets. So now he sees the microwave as the giver of delicious things. Give it a shot with Lula.

25. Aimee says:

Our dog has “Grab the smelling salts, Mabel!” hysterics when we turn off the television or put away the ironing board. She has always felt we could do a bit more ironing, but the television distress is new. If we try to distract her with treats or toys, she shakes so violently that she looks like Pig Pen. Neurotic dogs do keep it interesting.

26. Maybe next time you’re at the dentist you can pick up an extra dose of laughing gass for the dog.

27. Gladys says:

The microwave? The vacuum yes, the microwave? No. Maybe she has a pacemaker and is afraid it will effect her defiberlator.

28. Jessica S says:

Maybe the microwaves are affecting her brain. My dog is TERRIFIED of my dog loving sister, who is the nicest dog person ever. She runs, hides, barks, won’t take a treat from her. So now my dog loving sister hates my dog. 😦