I was having a deep email discussion with someone who reads this blog, and somehow we got on the subject of Flickr razors.

Well, no. First we were talking about Flickr accounts, and how I would like to get one because I need to look at MORE pictures of myself and my stupid life, and then I said, "Wasn't there a razor called Flickr?"

Yeah, no. They were called Flicker. As in my friend Flicker. See how the stupid Internet is ruining us? I PURPOSELY misspelled it thinking it was right.

Oh, English. Where have you gone?

Flickpick

This model was Jayne Modean. I remember her being in every ad on earth in the late '70s. She also did Noxema ads. I think we were supposed to find her accessible. But she was never my type. I always liked Karen Graham. If I am looking at a model, I want her to be impossibly prettier than me.

Karen

Karen Graham was the Estee Lauder model in the '70s and oh, I wanted to look just like her. Look at her perfect nose. Why does my nose look like someone globbed a mashed potato on it?

Anyway. I have, stunningly, digressed, and models of the '70s were not why I gathered you all here today.

Because if you recall, this post started with me talking about the Flicker razor, which I said reminded me of a McDonald's toy I had when I was a kid. Similar in shape to the round Flicker razor, it was in the shape of a cheeseburger with a bite taken out of it. But it wasn't a cheeseburger (it wasn't a rock. Was a rock LOBSTER!), it was a whistle. A McDonald's brand whistle shaped like a cheeseburger with a bite taken out of it.

Okay.

Would you not think that SOMEWHERE, somewhere, on this vast Internet of ours, I could find a photo of that ding-dang whistle? Everyone I asked who is my age (479) does not recall the cheeseburger whistle. But I SWEAR I had one! I swear it!

And that is what led me to today's Pieces of Wisdom Wednesday question. Which isn't so much about gleaning wisdom this week and just getting a charge out of everything. I guess it's Pieces of Whimsy Wednesday. See what I did there?

Is there some odd toy you recall from your childhood? A toy that in retrospect, you say, "Shut the front door. How the foxtrot was that even a toy I had that I went around and played with like it was normal?"

I remember this guy from my old job said his wife had this weird trippy doll that was clearly invented by someone addled by drugs in the '60s, because it — well, you know what? I can no longer remember what it did. Maybe it went from a girl to a monster, or it turned into an animal or a mushroom or something from Lidsville. I can no longer recall. But I'm saying, do you have a toy like that?

Because who went around thinking, "Oh! I have a good marketing idea! What say we make a whistle that looks like a cheeseburger with a bite taken out of it, and incidentally it also looks like this popular razor, so really dumb kids will get in the bathtub and try to blow their mom's razor!"

Similarly odd? I THINK this was my toy, but every time I played with it my father did all the work because it was so dangerous, and so maybe I am wrong and it was his toy, even though he was a grownup with a kid. I mean, as grown up as you can be when you're TWENTY-ONE and have a three-year-old already.

Motomon2
I'm pretty sure this was it. The POINT is, you plugged in that metal box, there, and put those plastic pieces in the molds, and then that monster-maker would get HOT ENOUGH TO MELT CHEMICAL-LADEN PLASTIC, and oh, was that a cool toy. And safe? Absolutely.

Parents won't even let their kids play in the FRONT YARD anymore. Even with helmets. And cell phones. And knee pads. And contracts saying, "I will never ever do anything dangerous or bad in the front yard." And yet we were given these MOLTEN CHEMICALS to play with.

Hells yeah.

Okay, you go. What odd toy do you recall?

173 thoughts on “Don’t be a nicker. Answer my Pieces of Wisdom Q.

1. So old I remember all of them says:

Hulk – That was called a Wheel-O. The disk on the metal rails that you made go up and down.

2. So old I remember all of them, have burns from most of them and (true story) my uncle designed toys for Mattel and we got them for free, burns included says:

Wasn’t it the lip gloss in the shape of the hamburger with a bite taken out? It could have even been by Avon….

3. Rosie says:

Anita – I can almost smell that smell right now!!! glad to hear someone else remembers that! That would be a full time job in this day and age!!!

4. Rosie says:

5. Tracie says:

Molten chemicals?! It is surprising that you have made it to 497 after that!
    I had this doll with color changing clothes, you just had to fill up one bottle with a metal tip with boiling water and another bottle with a metal tip with ice water and the hot or cold would change the color. After boiling the water for my toy my mother would tell me to be careful…and everytime I would touch that metal tip and burn my finger.

6. Siren says:

Yes! Wooly Willy! That’s what it was.
    And, again, when I was a kid, “willy” was another name for a boner. Okay, I don’t want to give the impression all we talked about at my house was penises. But seriously, what is up with these names? Winky Dink? Wooly Willy? And Wooly Willy was this totally bald guy, just a big round disembodied blob-head of flesh-toned skin. That you added woolly hair to.
    Uh, okay, I’m stopping now.

7. Siren, Do you mean Wooly Willy? Totally creepy.
    I do remember playing with the stuff inside broken thermometers. I also remember this stuff in the medicine cabinet called Mercurochrome. It was red and I used to paint it on myself. I was basically playing with mercury. I’m going to die from over exposure!

8. Laurie S. still has many of her childhood toys what with my "stuff" issues says:

Y’all were on a roll today with the comments, so funny! You are confirming what I often say at my middle school job, where students parade through daily with everything from paper cuts to broken limbs. I don’t think I remember anyone in my school (or maybe just one or 2) with broken limbs. And we did all the things you all described with little or no parental supervision. What is up with this delicate generation of children???

9. Siren says:

I had one of those weird magnetic things, a really strange-looking face that you used a magnetic pen to drag little iron flakes onto so you could “draw” facial hair.
    That thing was pretty creepy, now that I think about it.

10. Laurie S. still has many of her childhood toys what with my "stuff" issues says:

Incredible Edibles – like the plastic molding toys described above, but it made gummy “candy” that tasted like – plastic molded toys. Ugh. We also played with mercury from broken thermometers. Now you have to all a hazmat team if you break a thermometer in your home. And we slid around a neighbor’s garage floor on the stuff from inside a broken Etch-A-Sketch.

11. Lisa says:

Ah yes! Jarts! Those were the best. My mom just sold her set in a garage sale. I think that probably breaks like 100 laws.
    One thing I remember most about our toys is that we rarely used them as intended. Tinker toys, Lincoln Logs, Little People…you name it, we found some weird way to use them. And all the best toys had eleven billion parts, like Lite Brite and Mr. Potato Head. We were constantly stepping on small sharp things. And still never picking stuff up.
    Even our toy chest was a hazard. It was so big we had to climb inside to get anything out and it had a giant heavy lid that would bash you on the head if you didn’t have someone to hold it for you. I got bashed a lot!
    Do kids teeter totter anymore? Remember when your partner would jump off when they were on the ground and you would get slammed into the earth even after they promised they would never do it again? Awesome!

12. Brooke says:

Weird toys BESIDES Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony, Lady Lovely Locks? Well, I’d go with Sweet Secrets, basically girly transformers. They were little plastic cases with a fake jewel that could be attached to a necklace or hairclip or other stupid things. Then, they unfolded and out popped a head, hands and legs. Yeah.

13. Susan says:

Mister Potato Head, mine was made of styrofoam.
    I’m 100.

14. Summer says:

We sometimes got to play with little plastic monkeys that smoked tiny cigarettes.

15. June Gardens says:

BABY SHIVERS? How depressing. Was she detoxing?

16. Lindy says:

I loved my Speak n spell. I also had a Baby Alive and I believe a Baby Shivers. It was a creepy vibrating doll.
    A little girl down the street had anatomically correct dolls. That freaked me out.

17. I wasn’t allowed to have Operation either, but I loved playing it at my friend’s houses. I don’t remember Dark Shadows. I do remember staying up late on Friday nights to watch Creature Feature – does anyone remember that show?

18. Jazzble: Yes! Stickers! I collected SO MANY stickers as a child. And I used up my mom’s photo albums as my sticker books.
    I had something similar to Silly Putty, only it stank a lot more. It was called Gak. Not nearly as fun as silly putty.
    My sister and I had lots of Barbies, but we also had a lot of paper dolls. I think I played with the paper dolls more than the real dolls!
    And we had Lite Brite.

19. Angie says:

First, I laughed so hard at this post that my kids kept running in thinking I was crying. I had tears running down my face. Then, the comments had me driving them nuts saying “Oh…I had those!” and telling them about all my awful toys! I loved all the pretend “grown up” stuff like strollers, play blowdryers, etc. But I hated the dolls. I just wanted the stuff. I was so weird. My favorite thing when I was little were Weeble Wobbles…anyone remember “Weebles wobble but they won’t fall down.” They had a tree house. They were exactly the size of a 5 year olds windpipe, so I think they were banned.

20. SarBear says:

Frankly, the weirdest toy I can remember from my childhood was a gross-out station where you could make your own brains, spiders, and such. The best part was that these were all edible/drinkable. Oh, how I wished I had one of those. Oh, how my mother wished she had a normal daughter.

21. Carla says:

Hulk – I will send my address to June and she can forward it on to you.

22. Karen says:

To June’s Mother-
    I’m a little younger than you and older than June. Winky Dink was a big favorite right up until,at age 5, I drew on the beloved Zenith with my crayolas because I didn’t have the plastic piece. Big trouble, big, big trouble.

23. Carol N. from Alabama who has Dark Shadows on DVD now says:

I’m late to the party. I loved watching Dark Shadows and would run home from school to catch it. I had those clackers too until one day mom said they had ‘accidentally’ gotten thrown out. About 3 years ago as she was unpacking in her new house, she found them…seems she had hidden them away from me because she hated that noise. Most of the time as a kid I played outside; I remember the time several of us kids almost set someone’s house on fire because we decided that we would build a fire by burning pine straw. Evidently we were not too bright.

24. My mom let me watch “Dark Shadows.” I never missed an episode. My reading was never censored, either. I was reading my mom’s Bodice Ripper novels at a young age. I may not have quite understood everything but enough to be properly titillated.

25. Paula H&B says:

Only child, grew up in NYC, didn’t have any dangerous toys. But I did have the original Barbie that didn’t do anything except stand and then only when she was propped against something. She could sit, but only with both legs straight out in front of her.
    Then Barbie could have wigs, but you had to change her HEAD first. Yeah, that wasn’t totally creepy, snapping off the head with the blond bouffant and snapping on a head with molded hair and then topping that off with a ratty red, black or blond wig. And don’t forget the plastic combo eyeliner/lashes. Oh, she was a looker.
    BUT! When we went to Vermont on vacation, I was handed … HANDED … a BB gun and told not to shoot myself. Which I promptly did: took aim and shot something not six feet away so the BB richoted back, gathered speed and got me right on the shin bone. Effing BB gun. I was safer in the city!

26. Paula H&B says:

27. Paula H&B says:

28. Lisa from TX so as not to get confused with all the other Lisas on here says:

This wasn’t really a weird toy, but I so wish I still had my Mrs. Beasley doll. They go really high on Ebay especially the ones in mint condition, so I know I’m not the only one who loved, loved, loved my Mrs. Beasley doll.
    Oh, and thanks, Target Steve. Now I have to go and google the words to In the Air Tonight. What?

29. I watched Dark Shadows. And I had the Operation game when we moved to Traverse City. Otherwise, you and I would have been playing that with me all the time, Junie!
    You poor neglected child. What did you play with? Sticks? Shoelaces?
    (Sorry, Mother!)

30. tracy who forgot to change her name the last time. says:

Gretchen! I remember that ankle jump rope. Never got one.
    Does anyone remember a riding toy that had four seats, the handles and foot rests moved back and forth to make it go in circles? Definitely a danger to litte fingers and toes…I want one for my grandkids! We had hours of fun on that thing and I’ve never been able to find even a picture of one much less know what the name of it was.

31. June Gardens says:

MOOOOOOM! Laurie, of the 843,967 Lauries, got to watch Dark Shadows! And she probably played with her Barbie head, too!

32. June Gardens says:

ANOTHER game I could not have. Operation. Al of these toys I could not have involved little parts, which my mother said Id get everywhere.
    When I was 25, my boyfriend bought me Lite Brite, finally.
    I got the pieces everywhere.

33. Laurie in Texas (just one of 843,967 Lauries) says:

Poor June! You couldn’t watch Dark Shadows? My cousin and I loved the Dark Shadows. We lived states apart and would write our own scripts for the characters and send them through the mail. We invented FAN-FIC! I remember that my father stayed home sick one day and I insisted that he watch the show, then tell me what happened. And, bless his heart…he did it, although he had no clue as to the momentous plot, I’m sure.

34. Stella, those Wizzer tops were too cool…thought of them this morning, but couldn’t think of a way to describe them!!
    Anybody have a Tickle Bee magnet game, liked that one too. I had a Chrissy doll, remember how her hair would mat up inside her head? Also had a Baby Magic, you used a wand to make her move!

35. Gretchen says:

Clackers. What a stupid toy. And what was the point? I loved them. Also had a ball, attached to a plastic arm (?) attached to a plastic circle. You put the circle part around your ankle, started swinging the ball around, and hopped over it with your other foot. Like a hula hoop for your ankle. Until you tripped yourself and fell over and hit your head on the corner of the end table.

36. I was better, Hulk. You didn’t see what I made them do…
    And I’m not the only chick on here who was rough housing, if you read the comments…

37. I was better, Hulk. You didn’t see what I made them do…

38. I was better, Hulk. You didn’t see what I made them do…

39. June, I’m sorry to say that although I was a Mickey D’s fan from the get-go, I have absolutely zero recollection of a hamburger whistle.
    “Growing Up Skipper.”
    I had a Chrissy Doll, a Barbie Country Camper, or was it, “Kountry Kamper?” The giant Barbie head although I was a flop at styling her hair. Loved my Colorforms “It’s more fun to play, the Colorforms way!”
    I don’t recall my parents ever refusing to get specific toys because of moral issues (MY parents? Ha!) but I do remember wanting an EZ Bake Oven so bad and not getting it.
    I have a 1973 Sears Wish Book and I love to peruse it and walk down Memory Lane. And see all the toys I wanted but never got.

40. Nithya says:

Oh wait, suddenly remembered the only toy where anything actually went wrong! Did anybody else have SkyDancers? They’re fairy dolls with foam wings and you can spin them with a machiney thing and they launch upwards! A great outdoors toy. However I once launched her into an outdoor oriental lamp thingy and it smashed and I may or may not have sliced up my flip-flopped feet as I sped away from the scene of the crime. Ah the joys of a shared garden, it was always the boy opposite’s fault.

41. Siren says:

Did Winky Dink have a big yellow star on his head? I remember finding a box of stuff in the attic one day and I think it said “Winky Dink” on it. I remember because I thought it was just hilarious, since in my family a dink was a name for a boy’s private parts.
    I was probably around four or five at the time. I considered running around yelling the word “dink” to be a sophisticated form of humor.
    If I still thought doing that was funny today, I’d never actually admit it. And I certainly didn’t just go into the kitchen yelling “Winky Dink” to see if it would make Diane laugh. If I HAD, though, it totally would’ve.

42. Hulk (Who is out...) says:

This fricken’ blog is freakin’ hilARIOUS today!
    Peace. OUT!

43. Cosmo's Dad go ride your bike on the highway says:

The cat used the sandbox, then my mom wouldn’t let us play there.

44. Cosmo's Dad go ride your bike on the highway says:

The cat used the sandbox, then my mom wouldn’t let us play there.

45. Cosmo's Dad go ride your bike on the highway says:

The cat used the sandbox, then my mom wouldn’t let us play there.

46. June Gardens says:

I was NEVER ALLOWED to watch Dark Shadows. MOM.

47. jazzblc says:

The Other Erin — are you talking about Hugga Bunch dolls? They were plush dolls that came with a matching little doll. I had one of those dolls – though I don’t remember the video — maybe that was only special ones that came with a video.

48. Queen Stella, who still has linoleum and still doesn't live in the freakin Taj Mahal. says:

Mattel had a friction top called a Wizzer, which totally jacked up our kitchen linoleum. I remember because my dad bitched about it for years. Like the rest of our house was the freakin’ Taj Mahal. My brother would put the Wizzer in my hair and get it all tangled. And that thing would be hot! So I guess the tangled, matted hair would cover the burn scar. Good times.

49. J Hawk who is re-living her 70's childhood. says:

Also, I had a Barnabus Collins Dark Shadows board game when I was 7. Mom wouldn’t allow us to watch the show after my sister put little crosses made of toothpicks on every windowsill in the house.

50. Hulk (Who won't argue with THAT logic...) says:

So boys are dumber, but you played with them and did what they did only better…
    K.
    Carla-how?

51. J Hawk who is re-living childhood. says:

I had soccer boppers – these inflatable pillow things you put on your hands like giant boxing gloves. “Here, go beat the crap out of someone, but not your sister!” The best fun was to get flash cubes that went on those little instant cameras and if you stuck a bobby pin in them just right the flash would fire. We drove the school bus driver bats with those!

I think we spent too much time outside to play with indoor toys, plus we were 6-kids-on-a-mastersergeant’s-pay poor, so never had too many cool toys. I still have the original Superspirograph from those many years ago, along with my Chatty Cathy that I loved more than anything. “Let’s have a tea party!”
    And I picked up an old-style Light Bright for my kids at a garage sale, the kind shaped like a CRT monitor and not a flat screen like they make now. I know June’s question was about odd toys from our past, but it’s interesting to me which toys stood the test of time and are still being sold (like Rockem Sockem Robots and EZ Bake ovens).

53. Duffylou - read the comments for hour!! says:

The Barbie head was awesome for applying make-up and brushing her hair. Until the day I used a curling iron on her synthetic hair. Gooey meltdown and the iron was instantly glued shut.
    The Snoopy Sno Cone Machine is a marvelous toy that comes with several flavors of syrup to make snow cones. You put an ice cube in razor sharp grinder that the child turns around with a handle. Hopefully they will stop turning when asked or you will get shaved skin included in your snow cone. Been there, lost skin.

54. Oh man, the first razor I ever used was a Flicker. Only I thought it was called Flicka. I was obsessed with horses as a child, maybe that’s why.
    Anyway, my toy. Well, not mine, a friend of mine had one, and it came with a video, and all I remember is they were these dolls that were sort of Dancerina-esque through the face, but they were naked except for a little leaf skirt and a matching hat (I think; I don’t remember a shirt), and there was a big doll (6 inches high, maybe?) and a small baby version (2 inches?) that came with it. And the video was about a girl who had one of these dolls, and then she fell into a hole or a mirror or something and she was in the magical land the dolls lived in only they were real people, not dolls, and they were full-sized, and there was a witch.
    Everyone thinks I’m nuts and that I’m mashing together memories of different movies, and I’ve never been able to recall what the dolls were called so I can’t find a picture of them. But I SWEAR, they existed! My friend’s had a pink skirt and hat. They were all chubby and cherub-like, and I’m the only one on the planet who remembers them at all. (This would have been the mid to late ’80s, if any other young’ns or those with kids my age want to take a stab at it.)

55. Carla says:

Hulk – I’ll take some of that silly putty. My 5 year old would love it. Pretty please!
    My favorites were Lite Brite, Shrinky Dinks, and SpiroGraph. And when I wasn’t playing with those, I played school. When I got a little older, I read a lot of “Sweet Valley High” books.

56. Kate says:

Do you notice that you never see commercials for toys anymore? I remember being a kid and every other commercial I’m all, “Mom! Dad! I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!” Bill the Cat was just the creepiest toy.. the BEST one was my dad and grandfather built me a playhouse the size of a shed with real shingles, real flower boxes and shutters and windows and a door that locked. Best of all, the color it was painted: Barbie Pink. Oh yeah. The site of so many innocent years playing house soon became the site where I made out with boyfriends after sneaking out of my house, though…

57. Melanie says:

I remember wishing for most of these and never getting them. We did have boxes filled with Little People, which my children now turn their noses up at. And I did have a Baby Alive.

58. My sisters and I would play with our Fisher Price Little People for hours. We used dominoes to build more rooms onto our houses.
    One thing we always wanted but never got was a play kitchen…with all the plastic food. Scarred for life over that one.
    I give a lot to have my old Barbie airplane back. Yard sale casualty, along with my Walton’s lunchbox.
    I had the Shrinky Dinks too and the smell of Colorforms…nothing like it in the world! Smells really take me back…when I smell PlayDoh, it always reminds me of my aunt’s house…we were NOT allowed to have PlayDoh-it might get stuck in the carpet(thanks much Mom!)I made sure my boys had plenty of it and yes I had to pick it out of our carpet. I always liked the smell of Silly Putty too. We used to do the Sunday funnies thing too where you press it on and peel it off to get the picture. Or make a bubble with it and pop it, if you were good it made a satisfyingly loud noise which annoyed Grandma to no end.
    My favorite toy though was my Electronic Detective Game. Think prehistoric computer game! Kids today would die rather than play with it, you had to READ to play it.

59. arlene, living in the past today thanks to you'ns says:

Oh, and I was never allowed to have a Barbie, who just came out when I was a girl. I don’t think Mom liked the hookeresque look, although she didn’t ever tell me why I couldn’t have one. I also couldn’t watch
    StarTrek but I did catch the reruns after I moved away from home and I played with other girls’ Barbies.

60. Ohhhhh! I remember Dancerina. I never had one, because the boys would have tortured her in some way. Or maybe I would have.
    And yes, Hulk, I was smarter than that, but I played with BOYS and they are not. And I was the best at all the dangerous stuff. I was fearless. And oh, so worshiped by them for it. Bah!

61. Ohhhhh! I remember Dancerina. I never had one, because the boys would have tortured her in some way. Or maybe I would have.

62. Ohhhhh! I remember Dancerina. I never had one, because the boys would have tortured her in some way. Or maybe I would have.

63. arlene, with all fingers and toes intact, but a little brain fog from all the fumes inhaled by big brothers' toy vehicles with real engines. Christmas could really STINK in our house. Is this long enough? says:

Poo, Easy Bake Oven is nothing! I was given by my parents/Santa, an :”toy” stove that plugged directly into the outlet. The oven AND the burners (all 4) on top all heated – HOT. You could seriously bake a real cake in it. And yes, glad you asked, I did receive a burn or two. I think I was maybe 6 or 7 at the time.

64. arlene, with all fingers and toes intact, but a little brain fog from all the fumes inhaled by big brothers' toy vehicles with real engines. Christmas could really STINK in our house. Is this long enough? says:

65. arlene, with all fingers and toes intact, but a little brain fog from all the fumes inhaled by big brothers' toy vehicles with real engines. Christmas could really STINK in our house. Is this long enough? says:

66. Jeez everyone. Such cool toys!
    I lived on a farm and was an only child. So, I played in the willow tree. Would swing out over the sandbox, and then slam into the tree trunk. Yeah. Fun.
    I think I had a little plastic tool bench when I was really small. But then again, maybe it was just a commercial.

67. mother says:

From a generation before most of these comments, I had a thing we sent away for in the mail that was to be used with a popular Saturday morning kid’s show called Winky Dink. It was hosted by the same guy who hosted 21 and was later in trouble for cheating. Anyway, you sent away for this piece of plastic which you stuck to the TV screen during the showing of Winky Dink. Winky would get into trouble during each episode and it would be your job to draw an escape for him on the piece of plastic covering your TV screen. It was interactive before they invented the term. I’m wondering if anyone other than me remembers that toy. Probably not anyone reading this blog. It was cool.

68. Dancerina! Yup! That was the one!

69. I remember that ballerina doll. She was cool. Do you remember barfy the other doll? I hated that thing. My grandmother gave it to me and it took every fiber of my being not to throw it away. My mom wouldn’t let me. HATED that doll!

70. I also loved my Wendy the Weathergirl Colorforms, JUST like Miss Rose had on Romper Room! Think I wore four of those things plumb out!
    I always wanted the Original Colorforms (you know, the one in the binder on the black pages), but never got it, so, I bought it for my kids when they were little just so I could play with it.

71. June Gardens says:

It played a song from The Nutcracker, that doll.
    On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM, June Gardens byebyepieblog@gmail.com wrote:
    That is hilarious.
    You had that good ballerina doll, though, that spun around when you pushed that crown on her head. Which sounds a little dirty.