Wouldn't it have been awful if I'd have driven all the way for that Rockwell exhibit and instead of Normal Rockwell it was that idiot Rockwell, who sang Somebody's Watchin' Me?

I realize that is the worst video ever. The real video made you sit through TWO COMMERCIALS first and I refused to put it up here.

Anyway. Luckily everyone continued to not watch THAT Rockwell and we all looked at Norman Rockwell instead. There were tons of his paintings, including one of my favorites:

Norman-rockwell-day-in-the-life-of-a-little-girl
I remember staring at this when I was a kid, wishing I would have a fun day like this. Mostly I read books in the basement. It would have been a small painting, had he captured me.

After the exhibit, Carpool Queen had to go…carpool, and I had about an hour before I got my roots done.

Cupcakes
Fortunately I found something to do.

But oooo! Speaking of capturing a day in someone's life? Which that painting did and, you know, this blog does in agonizingly detailed fashion? Last night Marvin was watching a live stream of a (sit down) documentary that was coming from Sundance. And I watched a little of it with him and it was fascinating. These filmmakers asked people around the word, on July 24 of last year, to film a bit of something from their lives. Then they made a whole film about it.

I thought we could do something similar here! How about this coming Sunday you take a picture of something from your life or something you observed. Email it to me at byebyepieblog@gmail.com. Tell me your name, blog link, where you are, and what time of day it was. I will put up the pictures in chronological order sometime next week.

Doesn't that sound fun?  I mean, more fun than all of you changing your IDs and email addresses to make the colored square next to your comments a different color? In case anyone wondered why I had 994374930 comments yesterday, that is what these bozos were doing yesterday while I was out.

Okay, I have to go watch 86 hours of the Sopranos now. Oh, but in a special aside to the think tank of readers who similarly watched The Real Housewives Reunion last night? What was with Kyle's dress with the wings? Did she drink Red Bull? Also, Lisa is too pretty to only have sex twice a year.

I'm glad we could have this deep talk.

66 thoughts on “Rockwellin out with my smock out

1. Lauren says:

oops… well, i guess he’s also pretty normal, eh?
    (I can’t even blame that one on my phone!)

2. Lauren says:

can I just say how jealous I am that you were here, with cpq, visiting the rockwell exhibit??? omg. what i wouldn’t give to hang out with the two of you, in person, and basking in the beauty that is normal rockwell, no less??? omg.
    so close…
    =)

3. Mary says:

I’m all in for the Sunday photo…I am trying to do the 365 Project and take a photo every day for a year. In week 2 and can’t for the life of me figure out what to take a picture of next! But I will think of something for Sunday.
    Now I need to go find a cupcake.

4. PJ whose town actually had a pool and now that I think of swimming in that pool with 153,000 KIDS it gives me the heebie jeebies whatever those are but I'm sure they are infectious and contagious which makes me wonder how June's nursey book proofing is c says:

Okay. Am I stupid or something? Don’t answer that. I get the Rockwellin Out, but what the hell is With My Smock out? Is it something I missed because I didn’t watch that entire freaky video? Or an old reference? Or just to see if we’re paying attention? I’m all ready for the quiz tomorrow.
    And Twelvedaysold: I love me a pansy. Especially a big fat one. And I totally am humiliated if I cry at work. I hate hate hate that. And then I HATE the boss who made me cry, is what I do.

5. PJ whose town actually had a pool and now that I think of swimming in that pool with 153,000 KIDS it gives me the heebie jeebies whatever those are but I'm sure they are infectious and contagious which makes me wonder how June's nursey book proofing is c says:

6. PJ whose town actually had a pool and now that I think of swimming in that pool with 153,000 KIDS it gives me the heebie jeebies whatever those are but I'm sure they are infectious and contagious which makes me wonder how June's nursey book proofing is c says:

7. Oh yes Anita! I’ll post some tomorrow – not only did I cut it but I dyed it red!

8. Laurie S. in TN formerly in OH before that Austin,TX ; native of MI says:

Am I the only person in the world (besides my husband and my parents) who does not and never intends to use a debit card? I am scared of them. Also of banking online or paying bills online. I am officially old.

9. Will there be pictures up of the new do Mrs Oh? Tofutti, hee!

10. O.
    M.
    G.
    You so did not even put a pic of cupcakes up for the heart attackedified me! “I’m coming Elizabeth!” Tomorrow I expect a pic of some damned tofutti thing mmmmkay?

11. Siren says:

Aw, Twelvedaysold, your boss made you cry? You just say the word and I will totally beat her up for you.

12. Wait. Taking a picture of myself during the service? So much for not being inappropriate.

13. Wow. I just read through the comments yesterday and ya’ll are ridiculous.
    As I’m sure EVERYone has noticed, I haven’t been commenting much because my boss made me cry at work because I’m a big fat pansy and I was too afraid to spend much time online. Yet. Here I am.
    And I’ll try and take a photo of myself not doing something inappropriate on Sunday. Ooh, a picture of myself at church!

14. Crap Target Steve, I was just in Target and used my debit card. And I saw all those damn bikinis hanging there Kari and it really irked me. Mostly because I had just finished a krispy kreme doughnut and an iced coffee and the thought of getting in a bathing suit made me want to puke, but why waste such a good doughnut?

15. I know. But no offense to Steve (Hi, Target!) I’d rather not cruise in my Target swimwear.

16. Texas Kari who needs a vacation, but prefers one without swimwear. Regular clothes, please. says:

Furry,
    If only…

17. Texas Kari who needs a vacation, but prefers one without swimwear. Regular clothes, please. says:

Furry,
    If only…

18. Texas Kari who needs a vacation, but prefers one without swimwear. Regular clothes, please. says:

Furry,
    If only…

19. Hey, Kari, it’s “cruise wear” season in retail. Now’s the time they all think we’re off on yachts, swizzling rum drinks and flirting with the captain.

20. B., who is glad June's hair grows so fast, so she can try out new styles all the time says:

Oh crud, so you just got your roots done. I was hoping for the whole ‘new hairdo’. Guess I’m still waiting.
    Was that shop called ‘Cupcake Heaven’?

21. I love the way my stats go haywire on the days you mention my name. It’s like a little ray of sunshine….
    As always, delightful to see you.

22. Texas Kari who thinks swimwear in January is perplexing even for hot Texas says:

Target Steve –
    Thanks for the helpful info. How does the scenario change if your card can be either debit or credit? I typically choose to use it as credit even though my bank deducts it as if it was debit.
    Also, why are there bathing suits at the Target in January?

23. PJ who used to have panic attacks if somebody dunked her at the town pool. I was a real joy. says:

Seriously? Nobody has commented yet on that super f*ck*d-up video? Those eyes in the beginning totally weirded me out. I think I’m damaged for life. And the…what the hell WAS that? Stopped watching at that point and got back to June’s program which is always good and not f*ck*d-up or anything because she has Fran and Talu to do all her acting-out for her.
    Loved the Rockwell. So cute…and definitely not my childhood. Much more like my middle-age. I had/have a super middle-age. Got to have fun and be a kid without having a kid or being a real kid.

24. PJ who used to have panic attacks if somebody dunked her at the town pool. I was a real joy. says:

25. PJ who used to have panic attacks if somebody dunked her at the town pool. I was a real joy. says:

26. Sunday. Hmmm, okay then.
    Target Steve, you should live in my house. Not including me, since my whore of a uterus left town a few years ago, but my three teenage daughters all cycle the same. My husband LOVES living with us.
    And not to pimp out a blog, but I have my Housewives recap up. I am not doing a public service announcement like Target Steve being all kind and such, I’m just being my usual asshole self.

27. Carrie says:

Oh, NORMAN ROCKWELL, not Thomas Kincaid. You’re less weird now, I had them confused in my head. Which I suppose makes ME weird, and not you. Sigh. Alright, back to crunching numbers.

28. Iowamom says:

Fun! I’ll try it.

29. Siren says:

Letha, she did scold us, didn’t she! But not until AFTER she changed her email to test it out herself. Or maybe it was someone cleverly posing as June who did that.
    Target Steve, I answered your question on Australia time, but depending on where you are in the U.S., you won’t know what I said for another fourteen hours or so.

30. Hey, hijack moment. If any of you have time to sit and change the color of your comment square, and you use debit cards a lot, please go over to my blog and read about a danger of using debit cards you may not know about.
    Thanks.

31. Paula H&B says:

I can take a picture of a lot of SNOW. Or the Icicle of Death that is hanging from the roof. Or did you want an activity? Sunday I might be going through more pictures. A picture of pictures? Very Truman.

32. Paula H&B says:

33. Paula H&B says:

34. DB in MD says:

My Sundays usually consist of housecleaning, grocery shopping, and laundry. Just wanted to prepare y’all in advance for all the excitement.

35. Siren, do you know Olivia Newton John? Does she ever ask about me? sigh…
    I have to work at The Target on Sunday, so that should make for some very exciting photo memories.
    Jan, is Lee on the same cycle? Me afraid, very afraid. 🙂

36. Letha, Failed Lurker says:

Duffy lou, I think we were oh so scolded…*Doesn’t that sound fun? I mean, more fun than all of you changing your IDs and email addresses to make the colored square next to your comments a different color? In case anyone wondered why I had 994374930 comments yesterday, that is what these bozos were doing yesterday while I was out.* SCOLDING. And also the constructive Sunday assignment to keep us occcupied. (and I’m so in for that!)

37. Letha, Failed Lurker says:

38. Letha, Failed Lurker says:

39. Diane, who wishes for any kind of day that doesn't involve snow says:

I love this idea for Sunday, and I love Sundays. Bagels for breakfast, the Sunday paper, no errands to run. I’m not religious, but I do embrace the “Sunday as a day of rest” concept. Is it lame that I’m already trying to think of what part of my day to submit? (And, how many times am I going to say Sunday?)
    Second, I had never seen that Rockwell before, but I probably would also have gazed at it wishing for a day like that. I had fun as a kid, but that day looks so carefree. Like a summer vacation kind of day.

40. Tiffaney. Back in BBPland, with her mind in the gutter. says:

Furry’s doodling poodles????
    oh wait. that would be diddling. never mind.

41. Cosmo's Dad every month? damn says:

I read early and missed out on all the fun yesterday. I might take a picture Sunday.
    Hi Jan, whats flowin? Kyle, the darned thing has wings…
    And whats the thing that Kyle asked Camilla to be on the show?

42. Cosmo's Dad every month? damn says:

Hi Jan, whats flowin? Kyle, the darned thing has wings…
    And whats the thing that Kyle asked Camilla to be on the show?

43. Cosmo's Dad every month? damn says:

Hi Jan, whats flowin? Kyle, the darned thing has wings…
    And whats the thing that Kyle asked Camilla to be on the show?

44. I’m in. I have absolutely no plans for Sunday except to watch the NHL All-Star game and Supercross so I guess I can take a picture of the TV with either one of these programs on. I know! My exciting life is so underwhelming.

45. Hulk (I am going ice fishing this weekend...I'll send a pic of that.) says:

Sex only twice a year = Pretty??
    I must be a freakin’ aDONNIS!

46. I stayed up wayyyy too late watching the housewives’ drama. When it originally aired, my cable went out ONLY ON THAT CHANNEL! Que ahead to angry phone call and it came on just in time for the second airing.
    I guess I should have given them a polite thank you call, hmmm?

47. I stayed up wayyyy too late watching the housewives’ drama. When it originally aired, my cable went out ONLY ON THAT CHANNEL! Que ahead to angry phone call and it came on just in time for the second airing.
    I guess I should have given them a polite thank you call, hmmm?

48. I stayed up wayyyy too late watching the housewives’ drama. When it originally aired, my cable went out ONLY ON THAT CHANNEL! Que ahead to angry phone call and it came on just in time for the second airing.
    I guess I should have given them a polite thank you call, hmmm?

49. Carol N. from Alabama says:

How about them Packers?

50. Brindi says:

So sad that not only did I watch the Reunion show the first time, but watched it again when Bravo played it again a half an hour later. Was so caught up in Camille blaming Kyle for saying that she used a surrogate, when it was Camille herself that said it. Oh, the lies! Oh, the drama!

51. Jan says:

For some reason this post made me very melancholy and almost sad. Thinking of little June holed up in her basement. I realize you enjoyed reading books and liked the quiet, but this touched me today.
    Of course, I’m due to start my monthly (Hi, Hulk, Target Steve and Cosmo’s Dad) any time, so maybe that’s what is causing the emotion overflow.

52. Siren says:

How are you going to do the chronology? Are you going to convert all times to Carolina time? If I’m from Australia my Sunday morning is gonna be like sixteen hours before yours. Ooh, Kiritimati. I’m totally from Kiritimati. That will make me first, right? But then my timestamp will be for Saturday your time. Will I be disqualified if my picture is timestamped before you even get to Sunday?
    What. These are important questions.

53. June Gardens says:

I had a Pretty in Pink cupcake, which was strawberry, and the frosting had real chunks of strawberry in it. I did not bring one for Marv because I was going to be gone for hours and did not want to poison him. Plus he is not that into cakey things.

54. June Gardens says:

No, Duffy, I read them all. I did not mind you all talking about sports because I was not here.

I hope you didn’t have a chocolate cupcake – remember, chocolate has caffeine. How is the decaffeination going, anyhoo?
    I love that Norman Rockwell picture. What a busy day she had. But a little voice in my head hears all the “Moooom, he dunked me in the water”s and “Mooooommmmm, he won’t share his hotdog”s that happen in between some of the pictures.

56. Jill Munroe...who thinks Taylor & Camille are mindless twits! says:

I’m down with the Sunday assignment!
    I was glued to that reunion show last night & was thinking the same thing about Kyle’s dress. She has some funky taste in clothes. Can’t wait to find out the scoop on Lisa & Cedric next week!
    Let’s hope electric cigarette joins the ladies next week!!!!

57. Jill Munroe...who thinks Taylor & Camille are mindless twits! says:

I’m down with the Sunday assignment!
    Let’s hope electric cigarette joins the ladies next week!!!!

58. Jill Munroe...who thinks Taylor & Camille are mindless twits! says:

I’m down with the Sunday assignment!
    Let’s hope electric cigarette joins the ladies next week!!!!

59. Paula H&B says:

I watched the Reunion. I deduced that I am fat, ugly and poor. I think I’ll wait for Real Housewives of Peoria.

60. Paula H&B says:

61. Paula H&B says:

62. I love the plan for sunday! so exciting 😀

63. I figured it out. The way you keep us all coming back is with a post that makes us ask questions. What kind of cupcake did you choose? Did you take one home for Marvin? Did this place have one of the art-o-matic cigarette machines?
    It’s very Scheherazade of you.
    p.s. You and Marvin are going to need 2 tvs and 2 of those headphones that cancel out all the other noise. Otherwise it is going to drive everyone crazy with all the Sopranos from one room and documentaries on the Who coming from the other.

64. Duffylou - was waiting to be scolded by ms june says:

oops…
    Sunday’s assignment proves to have an interesting outcome.
    Me thinks you did not read all the comments yesterday or we would be scolded today.

65. Duffylou - was waiting to be scolded by ms june says:

Sunday’s assignment proves to have an interesting outcome.

66. The Zadge says: