Today I am wearing a gray shirt with a gray and clear necklace and I cannot get enough of myself in it, but for some reason the web camera is now refusing to come on and why must everything break? Really. Why?

Soon I will run out of clothes and this whole recap of what I wore to my new job will be over anyway. And maybe some day I will find that ding-dang battery charger for my real camera and I won't have to RELY on the webcam.

Where IS IT? How did I lose an entire battery charger? I mean, what possible place could I have put it? Could you all look up your buttockal regions? Because I have exhausted every nook and cranny here.

No one ever just says "cranny." It's always "nook and." Did you ever notice that?

Speaking of our fine language and the regular raping and pillaging of it, I am looking forward to Facebook this weekend, when I am sure to see 948593 posts that read: This goes out to all the mom's!

Mom's.

Maybe they all own something.

Maybe mom is.

Look, it hasn't even happened yet, and already I am twisted up and sick inside.

What are you all getting your mom's (see what I did there?) for Mother's Day? I mean, if your mom ('s) is still with us. I am getting mine an apostrophe.

Hardly anyone ever says "pillaging." It's always "raping and." Did you ever notice that?

Also, no one is ever a voracious anything except reader of books. "Oh, I'm a voracious strawberry eater!" "I'm a voracious giraffe raper! And pillager!"

Honestly I do not know what ails me today. Except I may have had real caffeine at work. It's Juan Valdez talking, not me. He's up in my crannies. Pillaging me. With an apostrophe. Voraciously.

Okay, then. My gray shirt and I are headed back to the office, where I hope the coffee has been thrown out. Everybody remember it's Thursday and our show is on! We'll discuss tomorrow, and don't let me forget to tell you about the $650 dog trainer I want to hire with all my riches.

Oh, look! I was just about to leave and I figured it out, because I am tweaking on the caffeine.

IMG000561
This goes out to all the reader's.

83 thoughts on “June in the trenches

1. Mary says:

Thank you everyone for the condolences. It’s been an awful couple weeks. And now I’m worried sick about Talu – I hope she shows up soon and is ok!!

2. Letha says:

June, I love you on the caffeine, but don’t get a migraine! You look a little more stunning each day.
    I got my mom a white crocheted-looking bag for summer, and my dog got her a round crystal vase for short-stemmed flowers.
    Today I got ME (to foster) SEVEN eight week old puppy’s. They are wire-haired terrier mix’s and their tail’s wag constantly. Squeeee! But my basement smell’s like poop…gotta go!

3. LauraL, who mailed cards today to my mom, his mom, my granny, his grandmother and his stepmother - from us and from the kids. Hallmark made a lot of money off us! says:

Original Joann, please tell Noelle I’ll be thinking of her. My son had DS but no heart issues; however, I know several parents whose children have had heart surgeries, including the day after birth. It’s truly amazing what modern medicine can do.

4. GardenGirl....who enjoys her starbucks almost every day, so just go ahead and drink your coffee. says:

Put that coffee cup down, June!…….You’re having a good hair day, girl! Must not be rainin’ in the south, right? You look all executive in your trench coat. Rock on!

5. Amish Annie, fortunately only two of the three are a tad wacky. says:

Warm thoughts to Mary and her family and other Pie folks whose loved ones are no longer here in physical form.
    Will be at a wedding this weekend around three moms (mom, MIL, stepmother).

6. Darla says:

Love that gray shirt. Sadly I comment more on your wardrobe than any other time on your blog. I might be obsessed.

7. B., who know of hot flashes no more says:

Progesterone cream for hot flashes.
    Then everyone can be flashy and not hot…wait, no, flashy and hot but not hot flashy.

8. Mary, I am so sorry for you and your daughter’s loss. I know it’s been a tough last few years for her.
    And on a happy note, my dear, dear blog friend Noelle, who comments here occasionally and is pregnant w/her first child had been told a few weeks ago that her daughter very likely had serious heart defects, too irreparable to survive and also there was a high chance she had Down’s Syndrome. Yesterday, after meeting with her specialist and having more diagnostic tests, it turns out her daughter does not have Down’s Syndrome and her heart valves can be repaired through a series of surgeries beginning right after she is born.
    Still serious, but Noelle is full of joy today.

Mary, so sorry about your loss. Hugs and prayers to you and your daughter.

10. Jeanie says:

I’m with ya on the “Mom’s.” Drive’s me nut’s. I just took flowers to the cemetery for my mom in order to beat the Sunday rush. Is that wrong? Also too, I think Marvin took your charger.

11. June Gardens says:

Sadly, yall, those Zappos boxes are old tax forms that Marvin brought over the other day. I needed them for the whole buying-the-house thing. Before that they contained shoes for Marvin. He likes him the Zappos. Who doesnt?

12. LisaD says:

Dear June, I suggest you go on Ebay and order another camera charger. Most are about $10, you should receive it in less than a week, and THEN is when you will find your old camera charger. Works for me every time! xoxo

13. L. from California...so hot in California that my brain is boiling says:

Correction: Your first case will be “The Day the Camera Charger Cord Disappeared.”
    (sorry, that will be next week’s case)

14. L. from California...a huge vole tried to eat my cat last night and he screamed like a little girl, poor, poor 16 pound pussy says:

Junie, are you REALLY a free-lance P.I.?
    (trench coat and shiny necklace)
    Because, you know that you CAN trust us…we won’t blow your secret (I almost asked if you were a “private dick” but that wouldn’t be very lady like).
    Seeing that Franklin Mint image of Kate Middleton on your ad and the trench coat …yeah that’s enough clues to deduce that you have indeed become a stylish (young, pretty, and unwrinkled version) of Miss Marple.
    Your first case is “The Day the Camera Battery Disappeared.”

15. Funny, I think that is the sweetest! I too love hydrangeas and I only hope my boys would remember that long after I am gone. But please, they are boys and will remember nothing. They will probably dress me up in silly outfits like Francis when I’m old and senile.
    Hugs to you Mary.

16. Steve [the answer is "Templeton"] says:

“voracious giraffe raper” This made me spew my coffee on the screen. Too funny. Oh and this phrase has never been used on the internet’s before. (see what I did there) Google hits? only ByByPie

17. My name is Pamela and I am Soul Sister #2 and I bought myself some gardening gloves, tools and a nice bag to hold them in for Mothers Day! says:

Love the outfit, June! I covet that necklace!
    You’re looking so cute for your first week.
    My heart is heavy for all of the readers who have lost their mom, and for Mary and her terrible loss. I am fortunate enough to have my mom and she is so dear…texts me every day with all of the news, weather, and traffic updates that I need to know.
    Who do you think called to inform me of Bin Laden’s demise (as I watched back episodes of Oprah, oblivious to the news of the night)?
    I only give her cards for Mothers Day, a day that both she and my husband consider to be a silly, Hallmark holiday. So I indulge myself instead with LOTS of presents, because I can totally buy into a silly, Hallmark holiday with no problem!

18. Texas Kari who thought Zappos were lighters. That shows you how much I know about shoes. and smoking. says:

June with your gray blouse, cool necklace and khaki trench, you are the perfect greige!
    Greige is the new black. And there ends my knowledge of current fashion trends.
    Re: camera cord. check your luggage. It might be squirreled away in a pocket from your last trip.

19. Texas Kari who thought Zappos were lighters. That shows you how much I know about shoes. and smoking. says:

Greige is the new black. And there ends my knowledge of current fashion trends.

20. Texas Kari who thought Zappos were lighters. That shows you how much I know about shoes. and smoking. says:

Greige is the new black. And there ends my knowledge of current fashion trends.

21. Speaking of grandbabies, why do grandmothers get a card on Mother’s Day AND on Grandparent’s Day?

22. Dawn in DC says:

Mary, I’m so sorry for the loss of your granddaughter.
    Knowing how badly I would like to have a grandbaby, I can imagine how hard it would be to lose her. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

23. Duffylou - mothers know you love them no matter what day it is says:

Mary, I am so very sorry about your granddaughter.
    My love to all of you whose moms are in heaven. Also too, any of you that think mom might be a bit warm this mother’s day. What? That’s where my kids know I’ll be.

24. Sadie will be thinking of you this weekend. says:

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. *Hugs*

25. Oh Dang: Funny! You made me get all tear-eyed with your hydrangea comment!
    And hugs to Mary too – I’ll share my pissy day with ya hun
    !

26. Oh Dang: Funny! You made me get all tear-eyed with your hydrangea comment!
    And hugs to Mary too – I’ll share my pissy day with ya hun
    !

27. Oh Dang: Funny! You made me get all tear-eyed with your hydrangea comment!
    And hugs to Mary too – I’ll share my pissy day with ya hun
    !

28. I go nuts when decorating blogs say “here is a sneak peak at my finished bathroom remodel”

29. Trench coats are all the rage right now. They’re plastered all over my shopping sites. They’re super cute, but hellooo, some of us live in Florida. I rarely wear a coat, but I do bring a sweater w/me wherever I go. In fact, I know I left my favorite one at an Indian restaurant last night. But when i called, they claimed they didn’t have it. I’m pretty sure I heard laughing in the background. I loved that sweater. It had ruffles.

30. I see that stupid apostrophe-followed-by-s in the most reeeediculous places. I was in a burger joint one day and looked up at all the neon beer signage and there was one touting “Corona and Taco’s”
    Taco’s what? Who is Taco and what do he and Corona have?
    Of course I had to take a picture of it and complain about it for days.
    I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that I can’t go 24 hours without finding a stupid illiterate-looking sign somewhere.
    Color me grumpy and ranting on this topic’s.
    p.s. Even more grumpy now that typepad has denied my post and I am trying again. Hmmmpph.

31. Love the trench!
    I also love that you shop Zappos, they have the best customer service ever (since we were talking about awful customer service yesterday, let’s talk about good today)
    Maybe Marvin ended up with the battery charger. I have lost 2 in the past year and a half and for the cost of replacements, I could have bought a new camera.
    I got my mom a hydrangea. I am going to take care of it for her because she is in heaven. She loved hydrangeas. I still get her a card every year because she always sent me the funniest cards. I am odd but it comforts me. I don’t mail them to her though cause that would just be silly.

32. Mary says:

Mother’s Day ain’t happening here this year. After losing a baby, it just is not a good day for celebrating. We are staying low key. Sorry to my own Mom who doesn’t get to reap the benefits of the Mom’s Day cause of us but she knows I love her. And that’s all that really matters.
    Mrs. Oh – pissy day for me too. Has been that way for two plus weeks now.

33. And Sadie about fell over when she read Kelly Pie's decision on the type of card to give her mom. says:

Do you have a second job as a model? Look how durn cute you are. Who’s got the look? Junie Pie!

34. Kate says:

Look how fancy you are! This fashion blogger (who hasn’t looked at her blog in WEEKS) mightily approves. Paula H&B, you CRACKED. ME. UP. today! Katie, awesome gifts! i want to go to terrain. and not ever have to capitalize stuff ever again. My mom doesn’t cook (well okay, she does, because my step-dad is a misogynist who expects breakfast, lunch, and dinner made for him, but she’s really bad at it and doesn’t enjoy it) so I made her a week’s worth of meals; also a gift card to a spa.

35. Paula H&B says:

Not to even mention “Hooks and Trannies.”

36. Paula H&B says:

Not to even mention “Hooks and Trannies.”

37. Paula H&B says:

Not to even mention “Hooks and Trannies.”

38. Laurie says:

I can’t identify the cup. Where did you buy lunch?
    Can’t wait to hear about the dog trainer.

39. Dear Katie,
    I don’t think the fancy soap will taste very good with the olive oil.
    Love,
    Rachel Ray

40. Paula H&B says:

I think there is even three-way pillaging in the movie “Crooks and Nannies.”

41. Paula H&B says:

I think there is even three-way pillaging in the movie “Crooks and Nannies.”

42. Paula H&B says:

I think there is even three-way pillaging in the movie “Crooks and Nannies.”

43. June, I was so bummed when I read there was no picture today. But yay! Webcam is back on! And you look absolutely darling, including the hair.

44. By the way, I make the Columbo comparison with love, as he was one of my favorite things to watch on Sunday night!

45. Jan says:

LOVE the hair! Truly, deeply, madly LOVE it!!!

46. Thank God for Zadge and the Columbo comment – I thought the same thing but am way to good of a mood to mention when someone else is dressing all Peter Falk!

47. Thank God for Zadge and the Columbo comment – I thought the same thing but am way to good of a mood to mention when someone else is dressing all Peter Falk!

48. Thank God for Zadge and the Columbo comment – I thought the same thing but am way to good of a mood to mention when someone else is dressing all Peter Falk!

49. There’s a garden and home store here in PA called terrain (yes, it’s intentionally uncapitalized, grrr) that’s owned by the Anthropologie/Urban Outfitters people, being founded in Philly and all. They have cute unique housewares like Anthro does and I got my mom a handmade ceramic bowl that was glazed by smushing glaze through some kind of vintage lacey fabric. Kind of a hunter green on cream, about dinner plate wide at the top and shallow. My mom’s a big ceramics collector. Also got her a fancy soap and fancy herbs for olive oil dipping. There were nicer food things I’d rather have sent her, but mail to Phoenix is awful hot already and I don’t want things spoiling.
    If you want to torture yourself with a bunch of amazing things you can’t afford to buy (like I did in person) terrain has a website: shopterrain.com (wish I was getting paid to plug that. Hello? terrain people? Anyone? Damn)

50. PJ who has worked too damn hard and is nearly passed out, not past out, on the couch.. says:

Cute apron is back on the door.
    Love your necklaces. Wish I could wear them. Necklaces bigger than a gold chain (how passe’ is that?) always look like they are some kind of punishment inflicted on me.
    Need me a trenchy with big buckles. Naw, they’d look like a punishment on me, too.
    I want to be cool like June. But not June in NC. That is not cool. That is hot and humid. The month, I mean, not the person. Or maybe June is hot and humid? At least when Barry Gibb’s around. (see what I did there?)

51. Gin says:

Now I’m really hungry for strawberries and may become a voracious strawberry eater. I’m going to pillage the fridge, and check all the crannies–leave no strawberry behind!

52. Joann, you could bling out her blinds. You know, bedazzle them or something.
    Nooks and crannies always remind me of that english muffin commercial.

53. You sort of look like Columbo in that trench, so I would think you could find the charger.

54. sherry in TX shout out to all the moms this weekend says:

Marvin probably has the charger, mixed up with his million electrical cords!
    Looking very cute today, love the necklace.

55. sherry in TX shout out to all the moms this weekend says:

Marvin probably has the charger, mixed up with his million electrical cords!
    Looking very cute today, love the necklace.

56. sherry in TX shout out to all the moms this weekend says:

Marvin probably has the charger, mixed up with his million electrical cords!
    Looking very cute today, love the necklace.

57. june. killing me. is what you’re doing.
    and i love that since you’ve been back to work, you’re all pissed about grammar. i. love. it.
    also, i think pillage gets used by itself … at least more than cranny. as in “the town was pillaged for treasure.” but now that i write that, it sounds stupid. so just forget it.
    and i love the lunch blog breaks.

58. Love your whole look today. Dare I say you look very Kate, um, what the hell is her last name now? I know they don’t really use their last name of Windsor. Let’s just say you look very Kate Prince Williamish.
    And that, sir, is good grammar.
    I’m getting my mother’s some new blinds for all around her house. She requested no bling this year which is what I usually get her because she loves the bling. So blinds it is.
    We too, have been missing a camera charger and nothing drives my husband crazier. Our girls never seem to be able to put anything back after they’ve borrowed it and of course when it ends up getting lost,it’s NEVER THEIR FAULT.
    We’ve looked in all the nooks. Maybe we need to try harder in the crannies.

59. Jessica says:

“It’s Juan Valdez talking, not me. He’s up in my crannies. Pillaging me. With an apostrophe. Voraciously.”
    omg… you’re killing, June… I cannot read that without laughing.

60. Cosmo's Dad's wrote this's says:

Thank’s I needed this’s.

61. Cosmo's Dad's wrote this's says:

Thank’s I needed this’s.

62. Cosmo's Dad's wrote this's says:

Thank’s I needed this’s.

63. Dawn in DC says:

I noticed the Zappos boxes, too. New shoes? For your mom?
    This is the first mother’s day since my mom moved to heaven. Her birthday is the next day. Saving $10 bucks on greeting cards this year really sucks.
    But I am sending good wishes for a great day to all the alive moms out there. May none of you have to wash a dish (or clean up cat puke).

64. ErinFromIowa says:

You are working it there June. Hair, outfit and pose!

65. The humidity must be down because your hair looks great. And what shoes did you get from Zappos?
    A voracious giraffe raper? Well, there’s something you don’t hear every day.
    Is it wrong that I found Mrs Oh’s comment hilarious? I mean her mom died and all. I’m going to hell aren’t I?
    Something landed on my roof this morning. It made a big thud. I looked out my window and saw a giant shadow. I thought of the movie Signs. It could have been this giant hawk that came the other day and snagged a birdie out of the tree.

66. LauraL says:

Ohhhhh, I hear you, sistah-girl. (Which is clearly different from a sister-wife. Since we are not married to the same person.) I really, really get the skin-crawlies when I see a nameplate on a house that reads “The Smith’s.” I know it actually is the house that belongs to the Smiths, but … The Smiths. That is not difficult, people!!
    Who is this trainer? Why are you implying that your dogs need training? Hee!

67. Tracy who is a voracious reader says:

Sorry, your charger is not in my buttockal region…according to certain members of my family that’s where my head resides so there ‘s not much room for anything else.
    Love that necklace!

68. My ad is for “Instant Grammar Checker.” Oh, The irony. Which is the opposite of The Wrinkly.
    And MY Facebook rant is all the “REPOST IF YOU AGREE!” stuff for everything from Supporting the Troops to Impeach Obama to If you love your mom’s you’ll repost this as your status! crap. Gives me a facial tic, it does.
    I’m just getting my mom a card. Perhaps the Joker. Or the 7 of Clubs. I haven’t decided yet.

69. Summer says:

You look really great in that ensemble. In those ensemble’s, I mean.

70. Jessica L says:

Please tell us that there are more new shoes in those Zappos boxes!

71. I think your hair looks adorable.

72. Hate Mother’s Day. Can’t get my Mom anything as she died and all and left without a forwarding address.

73. Hate Mother’s Day. Can’t get my Mom anything as she died and all and left without a forwarding address.

74. Hate Mother’s Day. Can’t get my Mom anything as she died and all and left without a forwarding address.

75. Linda in CO,who has memory issues lately says:

I love this post. Laugh-out-loud funny. I really think you should have another “my favorite grammatical pet peeve is” day for the readers. Those are always so funny to me, except when I say “Hey, I say that – what’s wrong with that?”
    My mom’s (see, I did that right)in heaven, so I just send happy mom thoughts into the ether for her on Mom’s Day.
    Also, too, what Thursday show is on?

76. Cristy says:

I do like the grey. Haven’t decided what to get for my mom. Or her is.
    This post had me laughing quite a bit and reminded me of this: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    Enjoy!
    p.s. I really do like your hair that way.

77. June Mint says:

OMG! My Google ad is for The Franklin Mint Kate Middleton Collection! I am not supposed to click on my own ads but EFF IT!!!