Along with 47 people named Alex at my job, there are also 15,000 men named Michael in my department. As a result, we call them all by their last names, and then anytime someone says, "Mike," I'm all, "Who?"

One of these souls is Fewks, whose last name is not spelled "Fewks," but it's close enough, and every day I try to pronounce his name in a different way. "Hello, Flucks," I'll say. "Hey, Fooux." "How was your weekend, Frooks?"

No one at work likes me.

So, poor Fewks was getting his hair cut yesterday, and somehow he and the hairdresser got on the topic of the lesbian taco place that I've told you about before. The whole town is abuzz about that place, and that owner is, like, lesbian about town. I see her out, and people flock to her, man. Her and her taco.

"Oh, that place is great," said Fewks to his hairdresser. "I mean, that's where Paul McCartney ate," he noted. It's true. A few months ago, Paul McCartney performed here, and the day he was here, my friend Kit saw him walk downtown RIGHT PAST her store, just his wife and him–is that his wife? Did he get married again after that Heather mistake? I think so.

Back when Paul McCartney was married to Heather, there was some Paul McCartney special on, and they said, "When we return, Paul sings a special song to Heather." Marvin sang, to the tune of My Love Does it Good, "My leg's made of wood."

And that's why Marvin is in hell as we speak.

Anyway, it is a well-known fact that Paul McCartney marched right over to lesbian taco and ate there, and if I were lesbian taco woman, I'd be wearing my Hey, Ladies, Ask Me About When Paul Fucking McCartney Ate At My Restaurant t-shirt.

After Fewks announced this tidbit to his hairdresser, she was unresponsive. I don't mean she was dead, which would be unfortunate because who'd finish his hair, I just mean she didn't pick up on his story.

"I mean, he's a vegetarian, but he was even able to find something good that's vegetarian there," continued Fewks, hoping to garner a response from his audience.

Still crickets. This is when he pulled out the big guns and did his Paul McCartney impression. "Oy, I'm Sir Paul. Blimey, what a delicious taco."

I mean, I heard the impression upon the retelling of this incident. I can assure you I'd have been Easter Island as well, hearing that thing.

It was sometime after the Liverpool accent did not go down that it hit Fewks like a jet, JET, oooOOoooo, that his hairdresser?

Did not know who the fuck Paul McCartney was. It'd be like trying to tell me a cute story about a sports figure or a world leader. Hey, did you hear about when Mikhail Gorbachev went to lesbian taco? "WHO? Wait, is he one of the Mikes at work?"

The point of my story is this. That's appalling. The part where someone doesn't know who Paul McCartney is. And the part where I had to look up how to spell "Mikhail."

Who, in your opinion, as opposed to you leaving a comment with somebody else's opinion, is someone everyone should know, no matter their age? Is it okay to not know who Uma Thurman is? What about Isadora Duncan?

Who in the present should we, as old people, know about that we may not? Like, are you aware of some musician or influencer that as old folk may be passing our generation by? Are we the grandpas sitting in the back of the room saying, "Who are those long-haired hippies on the Ed Sullivan?"

Is it annoying that I just said "influencer"? Let me know all this and more.

87 thoughts on “Mikhail Gorbachev goes to lesbian taco

1. Bobbi says:

My co-worker had no idea who James Taylor is. Also, Carole King.

2. Duffylou says:

Of course it is!!!!

3. QueenStella says:

1.A young coworker had no clue who Bo Derek is. My husband’s coworker didn’t know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.
    B. Hank Williams (not Jr.) and older country artists should be known by everyone who listens to what passes as country music today. Pfft!
    III. Isn’t it Alfred Hitchcock?

4. Yess! Leonard Cohen. And Shel Silverstein. And, of course, Margaret Mead.
    My new guru is Michio Kaku. Brilliant.

5. I compare our Joon’s writing to Erma Bombeck. She was a brilliant person and sooooo funny!

6. S in DK says:

Ok, just realized that “ghettoblaster” might be a danish term… for “boombox”

7. S in DK says:

No persons to add, but a couple of years ago, my then 10 year old daughter asked me what a ghettoblaster was. I felt so old…

8. Dana Starr says:

Leonard Cohen and Kris Kristofferson.

9. Mother's best friend says:

Jean Harlow

Go granny, go!
    The one name mentioned here that is known in both countries is Princess Diana. So yay to Darla!

11. Nithya says:

Not gonna lie, I don’t get about 80% of the references you make. When you say you’re such a Mrs So-and-so I just assume you’re talking about Bewitched and move on. I am rubbish at this stuff though so my family have changed goalposts: if I know someone’s name/face they are a true A-list celeb.
    That said, even my Indian grandmother who only started listening to western music in the 90s knows who Paul McCartney is.

12. Julie says:

Oh, you must look her up. She was a dancer. Very avant garde for her time. She died in tragic and dumb way. I was 10 years old when I saw a movie about her life. Played by Vanessa Redgrave… hope you know who she is.

13. Brooke says:

I’m 35, and I shrieked at a slightly older coworker because he didn’t know who Aretha Franklin is. I mean, it’s not the genre of music he listens to, but still. Queen of motherfrickin’ Soul.
    I may have sung at him a lot in the following months.

14. Shannon River says:

Slightly related to this topic is the fact I have lived in London for almost 5 years now. It can be so difficult when I have no one to share ANY cultural reference. Age related and country related. 😦 Oh well.

15. LaUral says:

My 13-year-old asked me what FB was (from a text), and when I told her Facebook, she wrote “Oh. Old people stuff.”
    We currently are working on the concept of giving people context of what or who you are talking about, because I don’t know any of these teeny-bopper Viners are, so when she says (fill in the name), I don’t know who she’s talking about.

16. marybeth, who usually lurks says:

I’m 25 and I have no clue in hell who Isadora Duncan is.

17. Oh and also Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.

18. My leg’s made of wood. Heeheeeeeee- well done Marvin.
    Everyone should know who Frank Sinatra is.

19. Nelson's Mama says:

I was singing along to the new “Marvin Gaye” song on the radio and my daughter got really snippy about how I had the lyrics all wrong. It’s sad when you have to explain who Marvin was and “Let’s Get It On”.

John Wayne, General Patton. And what PSS said, they should know who their Senators and Representatives are, both at the state and federal level. Why we celebrate July 4th as Independence Day and who signed the Declaration of Independence and how they risk their lives and fortunes when they did so.

Oooooooooh, good one!!!

Oooooooooh, good one!!!

Oooooooooh, good one!!!

24. Darla says:

Princess Diana

25. Jane West says:

Monty Python. Yes, I am aware of the risk I’m taking here.

26. kd in so cal in response to Hating the Heat in AZ says:

Hey, AZ…
    I’m hating the heat, too, in So cal (but at least we had a couple day respite with actual RAIN this week!!!) Anyway, I heard that same piece on NPR this morning about Black Violin. I thought those guys were great!

27. PJ says:

Bob Dylan, Joan Baez And almost everyone else mentioned. I’m loving this game.

28. PJ says:

Bha ha ha!

Lucille Ball.

Lucille Ball.

Lucille Ball.

32. susan in detroit says:

Not a person, but this actually happened…. someone at work did not know the Faygo commercials (hello… Detroit hometown brand!), and we all started singing “Faygo Remembers…” and she looked at us like we were nuts. We told her to go look it up on YouTube. Oy.

33. Amish Annie says:

I had an old rotary phone in the basement. I brought it up to show both my ADULT children and their partners. I asked them to dial my phone number. Of all four only none could do it. Yes, I said none.

34. hating the heat in az - yes it's still friggin' hot here says:

i’m too cranky for this conversation.
    however, i’d like to mention that this morning on NPR (yes, june, NPR) there was a segment on the musical duo ‘black violin’ that made me so happy. i could listen to their music all day, but i happen to love instrumental music.

I love that Scout said Erma Bombeck as I thought I might be the only one who remembers her and her humor. She also said life’s too short to wait until your house and furniture are perfect to invite friends over. I live by that motto. And she said to eat dessert first.
    A lot of great suggestions with Elvis, JFK and Hitchcock among others. I was going to make it easy and say everyone should at least know that George Washington was our first president although I was not actually his contemporary. Surprising, I know.

36. Everyone should be in the know about the Marx Brothers, especially Groucho.

37. DeDe says:

it makes me kind of sad she’ll never know the feeling of talking to her crush on the phone for an hour and being tethered to the same spot because of the short curly phone cord…

38. DeDe says:

What about knowing about THINGS from the not so distant past? About 4 years ago my daughter saw a rotary phone for the first time and had no clue what it was. How did she get 11 years old before seeing a rotary phone for the first time???

39. JG says:

Age gaps in knowledge don’t bother me too much as it seems like a normal progression. However, when I hear some dumbass say something like, “I’ll be singing Beyonce’s “At Last”—I want to kick them in the teeth. Really, you think that song was original to Beyonce? If it was a pop cover it wouldn’t be so annoying but to assume that a classic soul blues/jazz song was written for or by a pop singer…ugh.

Patsy Cline.

Patsy Cline.

Patsy Cline.

43. Scout says:

Erma Bombeck!

44. DStar says:

My sig line was supposed to say Marvin’s song lyrics ’bout killed me.

45. DStar, Marvin says:

I agree on the Rat Pack. They were bawdy and funny, but had so much style and elegance. We need more of that.
    The Blues singers like Etta James, Dinah Washington, BB King, Ruth Brown, Robert Johnson, not only for their immense talent but because their music influenced so much later pop music by Eric Clapton, The Beatles, The Rolling Stone

46. Amy who's back now says:

My kids are shocked that not only do I not know the YouTube/Instagram celebrities, I don’t even understand how one becomes or is a YouTube/Instagram/vine (forgot that one) celebrity…

And I forgot to erase my sig line from the other day, because I’m nowhere close to First today.

48. Linda in CO, who has been FIRST!!!! several times says:

OKay, this is marginally on topic…I listen to my kids’ top 40 radio station in the car a lot, and the other day I asked my daughter what was going on with the mentioning of old (er) celebrities in their songs. Like Michelle Pfeiffer (still beautiful but old enough to be these singers’ mother), Uma Thurman (ibid), and Marvin Gaye (way before these kids’ time).
    I vote Marilyn Monroe for someone whose name should evoke an immediate picture, if nothing else.
    And if I didn’t have kids, I wouldn’t have a clue about YouTube stars like Smosh and the Tyler kid mentioned above.

49. Youngsters don’t know Top Gun and that makes me sad. There are so many quotable lines from that movie.
    Many great people have already been listed. I don’t think Nelson Mandela has been mentioned yet. The ‘Cold War’ — do they teach this in school?
    When the last child moved out in 2011 my education in younger music stopped.
    My mom desperately needs to learn how to use her computer. And, my dad? He now sends me text messages that should be emails. Seriously. It take 8 or 9 text bubbles for his message.
    Is South Park still on? I would like to understand what the big deal is for this show.

50. Youngsters don’t know Top Gun and that makes me sad. There are so many quotable lines from that movie.
    When the last child moved out in 2011 my education in younger music stopped.

51. Youngsters don’t know Top Gun and that makes me sad. There are so many quotable lines from that movie.
    When the last child moved out in 2011 my education in younger music stopped.

52. Julie says:

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I was with a group of 30 something reporters talking about our birth dates and if anyone famous shared it. I said I shared a birthday with Brigitte Bardot. Even the crickets were silent. There you go, I’ve shared an embarrassing moment. Now I’ll go hide under my desk.

53. ClgInAZ says:

Well, I do know of Tyler Oakley, but it freaks me out how many celebrities I do not recognize now in magazines! I’m 53 years old…I didn’t expect that to start happening until I was in my 70’s I guess.

54. BamaCarol says:

Shouldn’t everyone know who Elvis is?

55. Duffylou says:

Sir Arthur Hitchcock and the all encompassing world he represented.

56. Tami in NV says:

Who is Isadora Duncan? Guess I just had my own “who” moment.

57. Just me, Vee who is too afraid to google at work says:

Davida, I’ll always remember Steely Dan because someone told me that “Steely Dan” is a name for a dildo.

58. carolineB says:

Fred MacMurray

59. Another Kelly says:

This is my sister’s story but I’ll tell it:
    She was at her gym one day and the Sheryl Crow song, “Like Steve McQueen” came on and her 20-something year old trainer asked, “Who’s Steve McQueen and why is there a song about him?”
    Sigh.

60. Deb who is back to being Deb says:

Most of the original rat pack – Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and Sammy Davis Jr. They can have a bye if they don’t know Peter Lawford. Whoo care about him? Also, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn.

61. Kathi says:

My 26-year-old co-worker went to a Billy Joel concert last night. But crickets when I talked about Christie Brinkley. What?!

62. Jeanie says:

I’m too busy worrying if I’m going to hell for laughing at Marvin’s comment. OK, Elvis.

63. lizardek says:

Still no comments showing. Sigh. Typepad hates me.

64. lizardek says:

All the YouTubers are all the rage right now. I’ve only heard of a couple of them, but my kids assure me I’m a fossil.

65. Amber says:

Uh, Paul McCartney. Everyone should know who he is. What is our world coming to?

66. PSS says:

Funny post! Love the Pal photo…’cause I heart Pal so hard. WAIT…that was yesterday. I’m catching up here.
    Musically, everyone needs to know Stevie Wonder and Led Zeppelin. And all four Beatles, for goodness sakes. Older folks need to know the Foo Fighters.
    Politically, everyone, young and old alike, should know who their state and local representatives are. It amazes me how many folks do not.
    And in the art world, I could not agree more with Furry…everyone must know Frida Kahlo.

67. LurkerSheila says:

My own personal “Who???” moment came the other day when my daughter’s Seventeen magazine arrived in the mail. I glanced at the kid on the cover without recognition – thought it was just some random guy. She picked the magazine out of the mail pile and lit up:”Awwwwwww, it’s Tyler!” Apparently Tyler Oakley is some YouTube personality known to the teenage set. Who knew? YouTube personalities were so not a thing when I was reading Seventeen in 1988.

68. Beverly says:

Lionel Richie
    Jimmy Page
    Carol Burnett
    Donny & Marie (I’m trying to forget them myself.)

69. Amish Annie says:

Know what’s weird? All the young people who worship and know Steve Jobs now….their kids will be like, who?

Am DEAD from Marvin’s song lyrics.
    True Story: Several (ok, possibly more than several, I AM OLD) years ago, we were playing the “Where Were You When Kennedy Was Shot” game and some embryo said, in disbelief, “Ted Kennedy is dead?” So there’s that. Of course, now the bloated jackass IS dead, but grrl, please. So I guess my answer is JFK. And all references thereto: Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, The Grassy Knoll, etc.

Am DEAD from Marvin’s song lyrics.

Am DEAD from Marvin’s song lyrics.

73. carolineB says:

My own sister never heard of Frida. She thought I was silly for being appalled. Funny/Lovely post June.

74. Vic says:

For some reason I said, nobody puts Baby in a corner the other day. Crickets. Not because it’s old, tired and over used, but because zero frame of reference.
    Also, people under thirty have no clue about CSN&Y.
    Wrongness. Everywhere.
    I would like to apologize in advance for all missing punctuation with reference to the above quote.

75. Amish Annie says:

Mrs. Gumby cracked me up.
    The Keane Brothers.

Shut up.

76. TrollUnderTheBridge says:

What, no pictures? Who are you, and what have you done with June Gardens?

77. PJ says:

Baryshnikov. I almost cry when I think of him in motion. I had tickets to see him once, oh was I in ecstasy. But his understudy danced instead because darling Mickhail because he performed at The White House the night before on a temporary stage and hit his head on a chandelier during one of his leaps.
    Oh don’t get me started on all the rest.

78. Helen says:

Are we allowed to name non-musical people? Vanna White.
    My guess is a lot of the older people have no idea who The Weeknd is. I’m definitely sure my 76 year old mother does not.

79. Davida says:

I do not believe any singer or band in the present is worth knowing. Pretty much all of my Pandora stations are old folks. I think the youngest singer or group I have on my station is Amy Winehouse and she is not getting any older, poor thing.
    Funny you should mention this because my husband and I were talking to a younger co-worker yesterday (yes, my husband and I work together) and couldn’t believe she didn’t know Steely Dan…we just went to their concert in August which was awesome by the way! She is 28 and we are 40ish, which is not a huge gap, so my husband and I were just flummoxed at why she didn’t know them. But then again, I live in a really small town (and they call it a CITY!) and all they listen to is country and religious music.

80. Slutty Pancakes says:

It wasn’t actually Paul McCartney downtown. Some impersonator. At any rate, I blame that girl’s parents if she doesn’t know PM.

81. MissusB says:

Poor Mrs. Gumby. Let’s just pretend that she was first, so we don’t ruin her whole day.
    Marvin’s song lyrics made me laugh out loud. But now I have that song stuck in my head. It’s not even a really good Beatles song.
    Do the young people know who Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Etta James are? If not, we should bitch slap some knowledge into their dumb little heads.

82. Mrs. Gumby who is only first in her mind says:

Damn you, Furry. Sulking off to pout.

83. Sadly, Ms. Gumby, you were not.

84. I am NEVER first muthas!

85. Mrs. Gumby says:

First, heh heh heh! Finally.

86. Frida Khalo.