I got an early-morning-meeting notice at 9:00 last night. Nothing helps you unwind at night like a work email at 9 p.m. telling you to get in early.

Anyway, as I always do when I have to go in early, tell me what I should blog about when I come home at lunch. Then when I come home at lunch, I’ll read your questions and suggestions, ignore them, and either not blog at all or blog about whatever I want.

Don’t you love our little dynamic? See you at lunch! Or luncheon, as Nancy Drew used to say. I wish I had a Hannah Gruen. I say that now, but every day I would head home for lunch and be annoyed that that old lady was there making me sandwiches. “Why does she give two fucks about my mystery? Can’t she get her own goddamn life? God, this roast beef sandwich is delicious. Why does Beth have to eat three of them?”

XO,

June.

56 thoughts on “Have to go to work early

1. KatieM says:

I always remembered Nancy Drew books describing her outfits with words like Titian Blue and Chartreuse. I had to look them up in the dictionary. She had a riding outfit that was a Powder Blue shirt with a Scarlet red coat and I always was a little skeptical that was going to look alright, seemed like a white shirt would be better…

Tangent: Now I want to be the person that names the paint colors. I pick colors for my house based on the color of the name. One time my red living room was Vesuvian Garnet! My office right now is Hot Chocolate Souffle’
    What colors have you picked based on the name?
    Paula, beige in not a color!

June, what was the total donations you collected for the Houston area animal shelters?

Oh, god, like, somewhere more than $700? I gave $650, then people gave more again after that!

3. Mother says:

Hey, where’s that Saturday entry?

I decided to head out to the Pride parade first. I made a little sign announcing my 10 pound weight loss and I thought I join in the parade. Do you think they’ll mind?

1. Beth who was proud when she lost weight says:

You are proud aren’t you, they shouldn’t mind one bit.

4. Bess HAD to eat 3 sandwiches so she could remain pleasantly plump.

5. duffylou says:

What are the realistic qualities you are looking for in a partner?

I have to go to the damn pharmacy for lunch! I’ll blog tomorrow!

1. Kathy (lurker) says:

Oooohhhh, a Saturday blog entry!

You buy your lunch at the pharmacy? You get more interesting with each new day!

See you tomorrow!

6. cheech1000 says:

How about “what is the most horrible thing you have done to your boyfriend/spouse/partner in revenge for something”. I have some good things for that. Not clean the toilet with their toothbrush good, but funny good.

1. gladyswhoisalsobee says:

I’ll bite. I put Ex-Lax in brownies and fed them to him. I told him no hard feelings and took him a whole pan of these creamy delicious brownies that made him shit what was left of his brains out.

Whatcha gonna paint next?

8. debwhosbacktobeingdeb says:

Who are the 4 people you want at your dinner party and why?

FMK?

Almost all of these things I’ve addressed ad nauseum on Facebook, see, which is why you guys need to be on fuckin’ Facebook, man.

1. Beth says:

Come on June, just bring your FB here.

10. Darla says:

I want to know all the makeup and skin care brands you are currently using.

11. Maddie says:

Questions currently burning a hole in my esophagus:

1) How do I brush my cat’s teeth? (Yes I’ve googled and, frankly, I don’t believe the people answering have ever ever tried to brush their cat’s teeth.)

2) Is it inevitable that as we get older we become more bitter about life? Or is this just a local phenom I’m seeing?

1. Beth who could eat 3 roast beef sandwiches IF it was really good and I was really hungry says:

I only became bitter about life a few persons, three seperate incidents in my life treated me like dirt, didn’t see it coming at all. I am a good person. Didn’t deserve being treated like that , and I wouldn’t treat someone that way. I turn 59 today and until 3 years ago I wasn’t bitter at all. I am healing and am a little less bitter now.
      I liked Nancy Drew and couldn’t tell you the name of any of the characters. After I read a book …poof there go the names and what happened.

1. Jeanie says:

Happy birthday, dear Beth!

1. Beth says:

thank you dearer Jeanie!

Happy birthday, Beth. All the September-birthday family and friends I know are excellent people. Enjoy your day!

1. Beth says:

Thanks, I have, you helped.

3. gladyswhoisalsobee says:

Happy Birthday girls! I am very bitter and I trust no one. I have a long sordid story but I can completely justify my feelings.

4. Happy Birthday, Beth. It is mine, too! 🙂

1. Beth says:

Back atcha then, hope your day was swell !

A belated happy birthday to you, too! Hope you had a great day.

5. Maddie says:

Hi Beth, sorry for late reply! So yah, ugh, that seems the thing – bad things happening over and over to good people and then who can help but become bitter? But you give me hope that maybe, with time, the bitterness eases. Thanks doll.

2. cheech1000 says:

I am finding out at 55, that as you age, you become more expendable to people. You are nothing but a budget line item to your employer, you are not a potential partner to any man your age and you are frequently disrespected at businesses (unless you threaten to pull the 17 year old clerk across their check-out counter, like I have been known to do).

1. Beth says:

Lordy, is THAT why we do that?

3. cheech1000 says:

Maddie, I always thought I should be brushing my cats’ teeth too, until I realized that if I stick my finger in their mouth with a brushlike thing attached to it, I will end up with one less finger!

1. Maddie says:

Cheech1000 – I don’t know if my reply is too late to be read but you just cracked me up. That’s my fear…clean kitty teeth at cost of my digits!

12. Mother says:

I like it when you have stories about our relatives, living and dead. Maybe I’m morbid.

13. Mrs Gumby says:

Consomme. That’s what you’d get for lunch from old Hannah Gruen.

“Consomme is all you shall have today, dear June. It is a part of your slimming regime.”

Blue roadster-ingly yours,
    Mrs. Gumby

14. East Lansinger says:

I never saw photos of painted front door and steps or furniture from Mother.

1. Beth says:

Heeeeeee June likes teasing us about things like that.

15. Vicky in DE says:

The 5 most important people in your life.

16. KarenAnn says:

I always love hearing about your old boyfriends with their unique names. Wish I had been smart enough to give mine fake names like Ignacio or King!

17. MSU Alum Steve (Formally EM Steve) says:

How about favorite books from your childhood that aren’t Little House on the Prairie?

S

18. dancer says:

gossip. as in – where do you go (websites) to get all your knowledge?

Sort of sideways, but remember when we all “live posted” during one of the awards shows? And the Emmys (Emmies? No.) are this weekend, I think. That was fun. OH. You could not-blog about your Emmy predictions, and not winners, but who will be dressed most absurdly / whore-ishly / etc.; who should be shot on sight (Ryan Seacrest) (Jill Kargman); will Giuliana Rancic continue to look like a tootsie pop in a prom dress; why does Amy Poehler always look like she just finished folding mountains of laundry, evening gown or not; would Anna Faris have any eyes at all without her Sharpie eyeliner; and of course, the scary state of Drew Barrymore’s boobs.

How’s Edsel doing with his walks? That’s all I have unless you want to make bets on when you think my mother and sister will FINALLY get their electricity restored. Stupid, stupid Irma.

1. Maddie says:

Dear Sadie, sending prayers that your family (and everyone else) has power restored soon. Life without electricity sucks, partic if you need it to power your well water.

Thank you, Maddie.Your prayers are working as Mom and my brother had their power restored Friday. Please keep praying for those still without power.

2. sandra In naples says:

Sadie, where do they live?

My brother in Jacksonville had powered restored Friday afternoon, Mom in central Florida had hers restored Friday night. Still waiting for my sister in Lakeland to get hers restored. Fallen trees took down power lines in all three cases.

Sandra in Naples, how did you do? I was worried about you when Naples took a direct hit.

1. sandra In naples says:

We did ok but it’s just now getting restored, still 46% without power. Gas was nonexistent until 48 hours ago. But so happy to have power and Ac. Thanks!

21. Anonymous for today says:

(I want to remain anonymous so everyone won’t think I’m a COMPLETE nut case) Am I the only one who, when called in to an early morning meeting, immediately thinks, “Oh sh*t, I’m going to be fired.”?

1. lisamillah says:

Anonymous, you are NOT the only one who has such a reaction. I have the same affliction.

2. cheech1000 says:

Hey, I had an early morning meeting and DID get fired! So there you go. Thank you, awesome firm I worked for (she said bitterly). Although unlikely, it’s a possibility.

1. yetanotherkelly says:

Damn, that sucks! Both times I’ve been fired, it happened after lunch on a Friday, never first thing in the morning. What’s the point of making you come in only to tell you to turn around and go home permanently? That’s just bullshit, man.

3. KatieM says:

no,I think that every time my boss wants to talk to me. Paranoid much?!

22. Jan says:

Can we discuss whether Hannah and Mr. Drew were hitting the sheets anytime Nancy was out sleuthing? “Quick Hannah! She’s gone. She figure out almost anything but hasn’t realized your doing more than my laundry.”

1. sandra In naples says:

I think Hannah was like Aunt Bea. ?

23. Mary Ellen from Napa says:

I’m no help when it comes to ideas for your blog post. Sorry, I just cannot call it anything else. And, I’m only first because I can’t sleep and it’s 4:40 here in California.