Just the other day, I came across yet another ad for bullet journals, a thing I was never into in the first place and now I am completely over. (Google fucking it.)

The only people who enjoy a bullet journal are people who are good at drawing, a thing I am not, so it holds no interest for me.

This led me to think about other things I was completely over, like everyone needing “closure.” You don’t need closure. You just want to talk to the person again. Closure. Shut up.

The point is, and I act like I ever have a point, one of my Facebook friends asked last night what word or phrase people hate. All of a sudden my whole world came together beautifully. It gelled. Perhaps you hate that.

It inspired me to ask all of you the same thing. What word or phrase is irking you right now?

One of my friends has 14 strokes when anyone announces being a “proud mama.”

I never, ever want to hear about anyone “ideating” anything. And you know how I feel about taking nouns and making them verbs. If anyone tells me they are going to journal or orgasm, they can just fuck right off.

So now it’s your turn. Ideate on it and we will touch base later.

Heh.

270 thoughts on “What word or phrase are you over?

1. Laurie in TN says:

“Sunnies” for sunglasses.

2. Carol says:

“Organic”
    Oh, this suitcase is so organic! My roller skates are so organic! My vulva is so organic!

3. Has no one said “impactful” yet? Really? Well, then, you’re very welcome. I mean, uh, no problem!

“Over the moon”. HATE

5. MrsHLBjr says:

“Where are you at?”

I’m before the “at”, you hick!

probs

7. Kenna says:

Adulting. Specifically when someone says they are “tired of adulting”!! ARRRRGGGHHH!!

I also get twitchy over “conversate” and “conversating”. You can converse. You can have a conversation. YOU CANNOT CONVERSATE because WTF is that anyways????

Also, parents (or grandparents, etc.) who talk in the third person to their kids – “mama/grandma wants you to bring her that book”. My partner’s mother still does that and my kids are 9 and 11!

9. kit from the vintage store says:

I despise “have a good one” a good what? drives me nuts

10. Heather says:

Bae! It’s the Danish word for poo! It needs to die!

1. MrsHLBjr says:

That’s hilarious! I’m going to point that out the next time I see it!

11. Heather says:

Good gracious YES! She is such a snooty know it all now! Completely obnoxious!

12. Mother says:

To coin a phrase, my pet peeve is politicians who say the victims of gun violence are in their thoughts and prayers. Hypocrites!

13. Tayna says:

I hate when someone calls me Boss. I don’t work with you, you don’t work for me, unless I’m getting a paycheck I am NOT your boss.

Keep on keepin’ on. What does this mean?

14. ~annie says:

“Fair enough” in response to a simple statement during a conversation, as if I had been arguing a point or trying to convince you of something.
    “You don’t happen to have ______, do you?” If you already know I don’t, why bother to ask?

15. Lisa Joy says:

Any texting abbreviations or shortcuts
    Din din (instead of dinner, kill me)
    Would you “reach out” to xyz? (Can’t I just email?)
    Copy me in.
    Inspo
    And although you didn’t ask, anything to do with those Magnolia people in Texas that are suddenly everywhere.

YES, Elsie!!! That book was supposed to be so touching and all I could think was that insecure Dad getting in a pissing contest over who loves the other more.

16. ElsieB says:

I love you to the moon and back. In the book, did the bear cub say he loved the adult (mother?) bear and the reply was this irksome sentence? To me it says, “Yes, you love me, but I love you more,” as if love between parent and child were a contest.

Starting a sentence with “right” instead of just saying what you want to say. I hear this a lot in radio interviews.

Live, laugh, love.

And everything in all the other comments.

17. Melissa says:

Other annoying things:

“I love you to the moon and back” (I read this about ten times a day.

Being called “sweetie” “sunshine” “sweetheart” or “sexy” by men I barely know or who have not even met. It’s gross.

“And go……” YES! Please go!

When people say “I seen”. Arggg! It’s SAW, “I saw “.

1. MrsHLBjr says:

Yes! “I seen” drives me crazy!

18. lisapie76 says:

Someone mentioned Libtard above, and I just lost facebook friends over that one. I posted that I was sick and tired of seeing that abomination of a word and would immediately unfriend any asshole who used it. Do people not have manners or common decency any more?

19. Jeanie says:

Let’s do this!

20. Jane says:

People who want to “share” their feelings, story or whatever. The only thing I want to share is a pitcher of Margaritas or maybe a quart of ice cream. And probably not with anyone who wants to share feelings.
    Also, resonate. As in “That really resonates with me”.

21. JG says:

No worries. (Yeah, I wasn’t worried.)

How’s your food tasting? (Now I am worried since you seem to be indicating that my food has the ability to taste.)

22. debwhosbacktobeingdeb says:

Lit

Win-win

Thanks in advance

At the end of the day

23. PSS aka Soul Sister says:

‘Woke.” Please, America…just stop.

24. Laura in Big D says:

My husband has picked up the nasty habit of prefacing a comment with “to be perfectly honest”….
    WTH? Are you at all other times NOT honest???

1. d-lou says:

I say the exact same thing when my husband says that. IRK. He usually ends with….I’m just being honest. Now I do it to him. Me…bitch?

25. TXPeach says:

‘Merica. ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. HotInAZ says:

Here’s instead of HERE ARE and there’s instead of THERE ARE.

Here’s pictures of my kitten! There’s a bunch of leaves on the ground!

We all seem to do it and lately it is driving me crazy!

27. Steph in St. Pete says:

Convo.

I love reading the comments today. Good subject, Coot.

I know they’ve already been said, but veggies, hubby, issue and preggers are on my list, but after reading comments my short list has grown to pages. There are new-to-me expressions that have been mentioned that I’m already over.

29. HotInAZ says:

Over 200 comments. Oy.
    Most anything is annoying if over used, or used incorrectly. And, made up words, yeah those usually suck. We are an opinionated bunch.

I think what irks us is when words are used that make us seem not smart. I think we’re a smart-ish bunch. As long as we’re not discussing spatial relations. Or world history.

1. Jeanie says:

Or math.

30. Steph in St. Pete says:

Ok, one more and I’m done:
    Nothing burger.

31. Anita says:

I saw, Intentional Living, on a magazine cover and hated it instantly.

Sorry if it’s a repeat but there are over 200 comments!

32. “Clean eating”. Get over yourself just say you are eliminating the junk that everyone else (not just you) is also trying to cut back on. Sheesh.

1. Worker Bee says:

I offered to bring food to a family member and it was declined because that person was “eating clean.” Fine. More dirty lasagna for us.

33. Steph in St. Pete says:

I have some more…
    brekkie
    avo (because typing “avocado” is strenuous, apparently)
    litty (because “lit” isn’t annoying enough as it is)
    living authentically
    content creator
    social media influencer
    lifestyle blogger
    #blessed

If I weren’t such an influencer who might get free Ultherapy, I’d be right there with you.

34. Some of mine have already been said, but here’s a few:
    Craving
    Baby bump

I’m marrying my best friend! Oh, we’ll then, I guess EVERYONE is marrying their best friend you ditzo
    “There’s no there there” Who came up with that ? Ugh. I hate everything.

35. Kathy F. says:

“Podcast”. Who in the hell invented stupid podcasts?? I realize this is a personal preference, but I absolutely abhor listening to someone hem and haw their way through a subject that would be MUCH QUICKER to read in a concisely and simply written article. Or blog. I am absolutely over the word “podcast”.

Staycation. I get it. You’re taking time off work and staying home. It doesn’t need a made up word.
    _______ is life. Chipotle is life. Guacamole is life. No. No they are not.

Libtard
    Snowflake
    Fake news

38. debwhosbacktobeingdeb says:

Interface. As in “We will interface about that later.” Can’t we just talk later?

Stealth mode.

Mansplain, Womansplain, kidsplain etc.

And, what everyone before me and after me has said or will say in these comments.

39. Summer says:

When I was more of a singer, I hated it when people said they relied on “technique.” “Technique” just means they practiced their music for thousands of hours. It’s not a freaking mystery.

Now I get annoyed by the shallow but pretentious people who say, “aesthetics” a lot to excuse their misanthropy.

Oh y’all have made me laugh so hard today! What a list! I totally agree with so many of these. Preggers makes my skin crawl. I work in a school and have a teenager, so some of these don’t bother me much. My current least favorite word: disruptor.

41. Cheryl says:

Hulk’s comment is the best.

42. Kathi says:

ANY word that is said where the consonants are dropped. Such as mou-uns instead of mountains, buh-un instead of button, etc. SO sick of that. Blick.

1. Worker Bee says:

Or vowels. ‘Merica. Eye roll.

2. PSS aka Soul Sister says:

We call our son “Buddy” or “Buds.” I don’t even know why.

3. lisapie76 says:

YES!!! Oh my God, that irritates the shit right out of me!

4. Carol says:

Yes! What is that about?? Are they dyslexic?

43. Tig says:

Calling your son “Buddy” – what, have you forgotten his name?
    Feels, as in “all the feels”
    Mischiev-ee-ous with that extraneous (ha!) ee
    Being called “Mom” (all the more so that the standard in Canada is still Mum, and I grew up with Australian English, which definitely was Mum) by my children’s activity leaders – I don’t like titles anyway, but especially not used in that way
    “Deliverables” – not sure why, but it just bugs me
    The song “Taking care of business” still being played at business conferences in 2018!
    I’m

44. yetanotherkelly says:

Using the word “onboarding” in place of hiring.

“We’ve decided not to continue the onboarding process regarding this position. We wish you luck in your future endeavors.”

I love how this has devolved into “all the hated things”.

46. PJ says:

Somebody already mentioned referring to their boy baby or child as my little man. Do they call their girl baby my little woman? Teachers who call children ladies and gentlemen to get their attention. They are not ladies and gentlemen when they are 9. They are ladies and gentlemen when they grown up and earn the title by behaving in appropriate ways. It’s not genitals that make you a lady or a gentleman. They had a baby? Oh! Is it a lady or a gentleman? A little man or a little woman?

And preggers? That is something we whispered about behind closed doors in 1962. Why does that word still exist?

47. Worker Bee says:

I’ve heard two middle aged people use the phrase “off the chain.” Ack.

1. Anon. because suddenly I'm afraid my neighbor will figure out I'm talking about her. says:

No. One time my middle-aged, paunchy, bald co-worker said: “your typing is just stupid fast”. I was embarrassed for him.

48. Anon. because suddenly I'm afraid my neighbor will figure out I'm talking about her. says:

It really REALLY bugs me when grown women say “besties”. My neighbor is in her mid-forties and will very often mention her best friend: “My bestie and I going shopping! This for my bestie! Love my bestie!!” I just feel like if you are over the age of 20, you shouldn’t be using that word.

Another thing this same person does – she leaves out the verb in most of her sentences: You so funny/ We going to eat now/He by himself for the night/She crazy/They swimming in the pool.

I just don’t understand this…how can you leave out the verbs???? She talks like this, so of course, this is how she writes on FB too. It drives me nuts.

49. dancer says:

Agree with so many of these and I know it’s not a word but I am so over Oprah.

1. Heather says:

Good gracious YES! She is such a snooty know it all now! Completely obnoxious!

50. Worker Bee says:

Unpack. I feel guilty typing this, but our pastors keep using this word. I think it started with one of our younger pastors and now they are all saying it. I just saw it in the children’s ministry newsletter too. “Let’s unpack this verse.” Let’s find a new word. It’s driving me nuts.

1. Worker Bee says:

Also, “pouring into.” Another church phrase. I love my church but these little words and phrases that all leaders use drive me a little nuts.

Worker Bee,I listen to CNN lots of days.Heard that Unpack too many times.A catchword even creeping into Canadian news.Irks.

K. At least type OK

1. Worker Bee says:

YW instead of you’re welcome. Mother uses K and YW. I don’t even use those!

52. Heather says:

Millenals! Pretty much everything about them! The skinny jeans and lumberjack beards with a goofy shaved on the sides but long on top hairstyle and Warby-Parker glasses, it gives me such rage! And yeah I know that’s not an expression but it really bugs me!

1. Shannon says:

We had to do a group lunch and I was unbelievably shocked when a millennial attendee stated that the restaurant of choice would need to include a chicken nugget meal if she was to attend. No other options in her palate, only chicken nuggets. How old are you again? And doesn’t that get incredibly boring to eat every day? And do you eat chicken nuggets for breakfast/dinner as well or is that the lunch only meal? So many questions, I felt like millennials should be a zoo exhibit.

53. Fawn Fairchild says:

Well Jesus H. I say far too many of these. I am gonna have to really think about some stuff.

Most of the “trendy” words don’t irritate me – I have teenagers so if I let those get to me I’d end up hating my own kids more than the normal, healthy amount.

But here are a few words that I hate that I didn’t see mentioned already:
    Hubs (just gross. no.)
    Upcycle (what’s wrong with recycle?? what????)
    Bae (which stands for Beyond All Else, for the person who asked earlier)

“I’m here for it.” What? You’re where?

And I know we aren’t talking about THIS today, but the totally-made-up-but-still-used-far-too-often words that set my teeth on age? CONVERSATE. Oh, and ORIENTATE. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

54. KarenAnn says:

“Let’s be perfectly clear”. Political jolksters use this constantly. Hate this phrase, explaining to me as if I were two years old.

55. Barbara says:

When people used to start every sentence with “Basically…,” then it was something else, now it’s “Clearly…” Woke, hack, have a blessed day, and from my mom, all the time, “Like I said.”

56. susan in detroit says:

“personal brand”

I’m me, and I don’t want to know you if I have to sell myself to you. I’m a person, not an object.

57. KatieM says:

let’s “connect” about that

are you gonna call, email or text?

freaking millennials

58. Nancy says:

Someone wins an award and they say they are “humbled and proud.” Humbled means “to lower (someone) in dignity or importance” which doesn’t make sense in this context. Say you’re proud, but leave out the humbled.

Can I also add that I hate it when people make those praying hands and sort of bow in order to say thank you?

Johnny Effing Depp. Lost all of his appeal with that one gesture. Ass.

2. I look at it as a universal signal meaning “I paid way too much money for martial arts lessons.”

OMG, I use “that being said,” all the time. Well, until NOW that I see how irritating it is and how many people hate it. Mea culpa.

60. Joan in NV says:

Well, “kiddos”, while I’ve never been “preggers”, I do have “fur-babies”, who would kill me dead if I called them that to their faces. But “it is what it is.” I’ll be “out of pocket” next week, spending my hard-earned cash right out of my pocket. In the meantime, y’all don’t work too hard while you “grow your whatever” (business, traffic, influenced) and I hope “your” Monday morning weather doesn’t turn into those ridiculous names for winter storms.

Grow THIS.

61. Duffylou says:

“Everything happens for a reason.” Bullshit. I know plenty of things that happen and there is no valid reason.
    “When one door closes, a window opens.” No Einstein, or should I say, Alexander. The door closes, another opens.

62. pathom says:

Calling children “littles.”

1. yetanotherkelly says:

Referring to your school-age child/children as “the baby/babies.”

63. Arlene says:

I was going to write a comment using as many of the hated phrases as possible, but then decided I valued myself too much. I could feel the anger growing as I read through this growing list. I would think, yes, those are the words/phrases that irk me the most…then someone would add another that I had forgotten. Hopefully the humor of making this list will help us as we are surrounded by people who have no language skills. This is cray cray AF!

64. Florence says:

Proactive. Just shut up.

Lots of hate for kiddos. I still use “kiddo” occasionally when addressing my adult children, but only to them, as in, “How are you, kiddo?” Not as a group. I understand teachers wanting to use something other than “students” or “kids” all the time, but the one that drove me crazy last year was “peanuts,” as in, “I’ll do anything for my peanuts.” How I felt about the person who used it most often heavily influenced my reaction to its use.

65. b says:

“Veggies” makes my skin crawl.

1. ClgInAZ says:

Yes! Veggies. It’s even in cookbooks now. Ugh.

2. Vic says:

Same here. Ack!

1. Beth says:

Or veg.

66. Kris in TN says:

I hate to hear someone say, “God doesn’t give you more than you can handle.” Oh, really? I know a lot of people dealing with WAAAAAYYYYY more than a person should have to handle … which is why I am agnostic. Sigh.

1. Beth says:

Or they are turning it over to God. I read that as they can’t be bothered with thinking.

All the work ones – deep dive, circle back, walk it back.
    Also
    efforting
    utilize
    preggers
    collaborate
    network

journey

69. Boomers Mommas Momma says:

I HATE when people refer to their kids as “little’s”, they are adults and bigger than you bitch.
    Another one is when people ask for “unspoken prayers”, why don’t they just say WTF is wrong. I’m nosey, I want to know.

Oh my goodness, I do NOT respond to unspoken prayer requests. You have no idea what these people are asking for, they might be wanting someone to die or get hurt, or lose their house. I’m not praying for that, no way, no day. I don’t need all the details, but no unspoken.

70. Darla says:

Brekkie. It’s breakfast, FFS!

1. yetanotherkelly says:

Oh my God, my mom says “brekkies” and I want to scream when she says it in an annoying simpering manner. One time, I actually snapped at her for it. She said she will say it if she wants to and I snapped back, “Not around me. You are not a preschooler so don’t behave like one.” Yeah, I felt bad for a few minutes but STOP SAYING BREKKIES, Goddammit!

71. K in the C says:

Namaste in bed and Messy Hair Don’t Care.

72. Helen says:

#too blessed to be stressed

73. yetanotherkelly says:

“Hey Girl,” “Journey” and “Blessed.”

“Hey Girl! I know we haven’t spoken since we graduated in 1981 but I want you to join me on my journey as I bless lives by manipulating my friends and family into buying my sub-par and overpriced products because I want to make Diamond Level and retire my husband. PM for details!”

1. yetanotherkelly says:

Add “Bossbabe” to that list, please.

74. The thing is, is … why that second IS, I say. Why???? -Kate

1. mamaduck27 says:

I had a friend who always said, “The thing of it is is that [insert statement here].”

75. Avid Reader of June's Blog says:

YEP or YUP especially when these words are used by an educator. It’s even worse when the educator types out these words in an email or text.
    The use of IDK in a text. My 16-year-old uses it all the time. Set up a shortcut in your phone so you can live to see another day.

Ooooooohhh I work with a woman who replies “yeap”. I think she THINKS that’s how you spell “yup”. It’s like “yeah” and “yup” had a bastard child and gave us YEAP.

76. Bobbi says: