Two weeks ago today was my accident. Since then, I have been what you might call lying low. I’m still doing the concussion-avoidant things I’m supposed to be doing, which is steering clear of computer screens, the television, reading, and a lot of sunlight. In short, I am a vampire, if vampires listened to audiobooks a lot.

I’m still making myself drive somewhere every day; yesterday I went grocery shopping at a store 7 miles away, as opposed to the store that’s less than half a mile from me, just so that I would force myself to drive. I am nervous as a cat on the road. Every time I’m at a stoplight and see a car coming up behind me I’m like “slow down slow down slow down slow down slow down.” I’ve also been trying to stop near a driveway so that if I see some car careening toward me I can just turn into the driveway really fast. PTSD is fun.

But being in my house all the time is sort of interesting. This house gets so much light during the day. I’ve never really sat around here and appreciated the way the light streams into my house.

Nor have I taken time to listen to how many birds are singing in my backyard. Milhous would love to have all of their songs deep inside of him.

Meanwhile, I have now listened to two audiobooks in their entirety and I started Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover. I know faithful reader Tee will be excited about this fact. I am halfway through baby step one, Tee. Also, Tee, thank you for the cute get well card, which just came out Get Eel and it’s mistakes like that that make me want to look at a computer screen when I’m not supposed to.

Tomorrow afternoon I return to the doctor to see if I have the go-ahead to return to work. I think she will probably say I can, although it’s hard to know if you’re OK if you’re not doing the things that are supposed to give you a headache.

Meanwhile, of course they found more stuff wrong with my car so I still don’t have that back.

I guess I will go return to my fourth audiobook. I paused Dave Ramsey until I got to baby step step two, so now I’ve started another fiction book. If I could do any physical activity I would be painting walls or Marie Kondo-ing my house or something, but I cannot.

I guess that’s all I have to report to you from here, and I suppose my concussion life is not that interesting to report on. I’ll write you again when I have a life.

44 thoughts on “Orchestras are just cover bands (I have a lotta time to think RN)

1. Angie P says:

Hope you’re doing better.

2. Kymberly says:

That kitchen is stunning.

Your home does look like the loveliest place to recover. I just knew you would have audio books to listen to. The driving further is a great idea. I really hope you got good news at the doctor’s office.

Hope you get an all clear tomorrow!

Lovely post, lovely June!

5. Worker Bee says:

So glad to hear you’ve been following doctor’s orders and resting.
    I know you love advice, so I hope a liver slap doesn’t come my way, but I wanted to share my mom’s whiplash experience. She was in an accident and had whiplash. She had terrible headaches and neck pain for years. Then she was in another accident and had whiplash again. She went to physical therapy and the headaches and neck pain from both the first and second accidents went away. Not sure your injuries require PT, but sharing in case that may be helpful to you.
    I hope the pets have been enjoying having you home!

6. capelover says:

Wonderful to hear from you! Sounds like you are following doctors’ orders and enjoying your sweet home. I feel sure all the animals are enjoying all your attention. Take care and heal soon. We miss you!

7. Faithful Reader Tammy in Atlanta says:

I am so glad you are on the road to recovery, and have been following your doctor’s instructions. Many don’t, and they end up taking much longer to heal than necessary.
    I love, love, LOVE the stained glass in your kitchen! With the light coming through, it’s absolutely stunning!
    Thanks for keeping us up to date. Continuing to send you healing vibes!

8. mamaro829 says:

Your house is so pretty and yay for you following doctor’s orders! Thank you for keeping up to date, I check every day for an update and was glad to see this one.

9. Becky says:

Good to hear from you. Hope all goes okay if you do go back to work, and that you can ease back into it gently. Your house is such a peaceful sun-dappled oasis, even through photos. And Milhous always seems to appear so quietly confident, especially on his perfect perch there.

10. pendy says:

Love the light in your home and I am proud of you for not going insane at having to restrict your activities so drastically. Hope when you get back to work you find that you are able to do the things you need to do.

11. Angie says:

Hope you get a good report!

12. L.in CA says:

Hi June,

Thank you for the update. Hoping everything gets back to normal for you soon. Cute photos…kitten is getting big.

13. Barbara says:

You seem to be doing great! Thanks for the update!

In my years of driving school carpool, I listened to Dave Ramsay’s show. I found it fascinating! I learned how crippling student debt is and soooo many people have it. Wow! Mr. Texas and I graduated with no student debt, and we swore our child would graduate without it, too. Congratulations on being almost through baby step 1!
    I’m so glad you’re getting better! Concussions always make me think of that hilarious part of Christmas Vacation when Cousin Eddie says of his daughter’s eyes (paraphrased) “Falls in a well an’ her eyes go crossed. Gets kicked by a mule an’ they go back. I dunno!”

15. Melissa says:

I love the light in your house! I enjoy how the light changes throughout the year as the seasons change.

I’m a Dave Ramsey follower. I listen to his show on Podcast. Some of the stories are really crazy. I’m almost done baby step 2. I have to spend a lot of time at home or trying to find free things to do so I don’t spend money. It’s been worth it because my debt is almost paid off.

So glad that you are, if nothing else, two weeks further along. I, too, have been rear ended – and NOT IN THE GOOD WAY – and it’s a shocking event that leaves you spooked. Good luck at the doctor. I hope your brain has settled itself back down. Wouldn’t it be something if this event cured you of migraines forever?

17. Sandra Hendrickson says:

I think you should take a picture of yourself in a 1950’s lawn chair, complete with cat-style sunglasses, toss in a few cats, a pair of pedal pushers, an iced tea and just pose marvelously. Plus, you HAVE all that stuff.

18. I cannot imagine not looking at computer or TV or a book. I have never tried an audio-book. Hope you are feeling better soon. Your house is so cute and the light is lovely.

June,
    Glad to hear from you today. While you are resting your brain, I’ve been watching enough Dorian coverage for both of us. I’m thankful to say that all my Florida family is fine rather than in the bullseye of the original track when it was previously expected to go right up the center of the state. Hope everyone else along the SC and NC coast will be safe.

May you continue to heal both physically and emotionally. Keeping you in my thoughts.
    Sadie

P.S. I see that Milhous is teaching Snowflake to hang out on your newly redecorated chair.

20. Georgia says:

This post and your house are lovely. I’m sorry about the PTSD. It does get better but it might not go away completely. I got hit from the side in an intersection and I still wince a little if I go through one alone.

Good job following the concussion protocol. My son has one right now from football and he won’t sit down and he’s making me crazy!

21. Your mother's neighbor says:

Have been thinking about you a lot and praying that you’re healing. Thanks for the pics of your adorable home. It suits you…and the kids. The wee one is getting much bigger…based on the back-end shot in the one photo. Keep not doing what you’re not supposed to do. The eyes and brain rest really works. Take care!

delighted to hear from you!

Millhouse looks magnificent on the back of that chair!

I’m sorry it’s a slow process, and that you can’t do things you do with regular time off. I am proud of you for driving every day!

23. yetanotherkelly says:

When I got my first concussion (Yes, I’ve had more than one), I was knocked unconscious. When I finally went to the doctor a few days later because bad headaches, dizziness, nausea and the fact that I kept falling asleep at my desk, I got the equivalent of “walk it off” and “call us if you don’t wake up.” Bastards.

Thanks for the update, June. Your house is adorable and so clean and neat. Sunny and cheerful. A very nice place to recover. Sorry it’s taking so long.

25. bobb1jd says:

Glad you are improving.
    Sorry it’s such a slow process.
    It sucks when forced R & R is attached to trauma. Hang in !

26. Sharon who lives in Biltmore's backyard says:

I’m nowhere near organized enough to send you a get well card, but you have been in my thoughts. And the kitten is growing!

27. bamacarol says:

Glad you are doing better. Hope the PTSD goes away soon. Take care of yourself and enjoy the cute house and abundant sunshine along with all of the animals. Snowflake is so cute and looks like she has taken over.

28. amarabray says:

Lovely natural light in your house! Thank you for writing.

29. Love, Jimmie says:

Like others, I was involved in a similar accident to yours, and I did the same thing as you. I would freak out when a car behind me seemed to be going too fast and I would holler for them to stop. Then I moved to Nashville where I guess I burned myself out on the anxiety because I would holler all day. It took maybe a year for me to get over that, but honestly, it wasn’t horrible for the whole year. Just a reflex at the end that I eventually gave up because I didn’t have time for it, what with all the weaving in and out of traffic I had to do to get to work.

You have some cute cat booties in your house. That little one is feisty. I hope you get good news tomorrow.

30. Beth from the woods says:

You do have a life and this is it and it is interesting . Snowflake ..so cute.

31. Kim says:

I hope things return to normal for you soon. Thanks for updating us!

32. 1madgirl says:

Thanks for the post, faithful writer June. May you continue to get well. It takes a while for the hyperalertness to begin to fade but it will. I laughed at the title. Now why didn’t I ever think of that?

33. Jeanie Herkomer says:

I love all the light streaming through your house. It looks like Snowflake has grown a lot. Thank you for posting, and please continue to take good care of yourself.

34. Joan in NV says:

Totally get your PTSD. For months I sat at lights with my head pressed against the headrest, swearing at the em effers behind me. Be well and look away from the light, lovely as it is!

35. susanhenschen says:

I love all the light in your house. So pretty! And it’s great to see a post from you. Your concussion life is still interesting.

36. Tee Smith says:

What a pleasant surprise. I hope you are healing well and being a good patient. SOOOO much to comment on in this post! Your house is so lovely and the light makes it so cheerful. That kitten seems to be king of the mountain on that red chair. I am REALLY, REALLY EXCITED that you are listening to Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover. Step 1 $1,000 emergency fund. We had a student tell us that he’s never had a $1,000 emergency they are more like $6,000 or $7,000 emergencies. Yep, I can relate to that, our last one was a $5,000 tooth. I understand completely you not wanting to drive. It is so scary after being in a accident, I was a mess physically and emotionally after being in a head-on collision. PTSD is a perfect description along with being addled. I kept hearing the sound of the crash. It was terrible. Prayers for a total recovery really soon.

37. I love that table cloth. Am glad to hear you may be back to normal functions soon.

Thanks for talking at us. We miss you.

38. Sandra says:

I always enjoy seeing pictures of your house, it looks so cozy to me.
    I hope you get well soon and that ptsd will go away soon as well!

39. ruth says:

You are being so good about obeying doctor’s orders. I hope it pays off soon so you’re operating in normal mode again.

40. Shannon says:

I’m so sorry you’re going through this process. Glad you’re taking orders seriously but I was selfishly thrilled to see a post. You’re very missed! Do they think the car will be repairable?

41. MrsHLBjr says:

It’s good to get an update from you! I’ve been wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear you might be well enough to be able to get back to work. If you or the doctor are not totally sure, would half days be an option to help you ease back into it and see how your brain handles all the stimuli before going back full time?

Meanwhile, I hope you can enjoy the rest of your downtime. Your house does have lovely natural light! Seems like it would be very peaceful with that and the singing birds.

I hope you have a peaceful day!

42. cherylk says:

It’s nice to hear from you and I am glad you are doing well. It looks like the foster is doing good as well.

43. Laurie (Lucy's mom) says:

It sounds as if you are recovering well. I am glad to hear it. Sunshine in your windows is beautiful, although now saying that I have ‘Sunshine on my shoulders’ running through my mind.

Thanks for sharing your pet pics and for always keeping us up to date.