I loved everyone’s family stories from the other day. I took yesterday off from writing just so everyone would have a chance to read and tell them all without distraction. And we did, indeed, get more yesterday.

I’ve hurt my index finger and had to put one of my cowgirl band-aids on it, so now I’m typing funny and I want you to appreciate the sacrifices I make for this family. [raps wooden spoon against pot dramatically]

I’ve really got nothing exciting to tell you, actually. They switched timekeeping systems at work and all day it’s, “Can you do this?”

“No, not yet.”

“Have you figured out how to enter…?”

“No, not yet.”

So that’s relaxing. Do you know it’s coming up on 9 years I’ve been there? Remember when I started there? Oooo, this is a good topic: Tell me what I was doing when you first started reading me. Was I married to Marvin? Was I married to the mob? Was I a swinging single dating Dick Whitman? Was it last week and you have no idea who these people are?

That’ll be fun. That’ll be fun for the whole family.

I’m writing this to you, by the way, plunged in darkness. We’re having heavy rains today and while I have the blinds open, it’s still dark AF in here. I guess I could get up and turn on a lamp but who wants to make that sort of long-term commitment? I keep thinking I’ll get up in a minute and get dressed.

And then I keep talking anyway, here in the dark, with the rain pattering on my awnings. I have these old white 1940s awnings on my house and they are my favorite part. I’m so glad no one saw fit to take them off.

I looked in my Photos app for pictures of my house, entering, wait for it, “house” in the search bar, and the very first photo was of me topless. I wish I had any explanation for you. Anyway, here are my awnings, not m’boobs. I am behind that smaller window to the right right now. See me waving, a year and four months later?

This photo also appeared under the category of “house” and it makes a heap of sense.

So did this. I feel like this app isn’t working properly. Let’s try another word.

“Bunny.”

Look! That actually makes sense! I loved that phone case. Do you buy many ridic phone cases, use them for awhile, then buy other ridic phone cases? Is that just me?

Also falling under the category of bunny …

Yeah.

Okay, one more and then I’ll go, for real. “Pop.”

Ohmygod, this was on my birthday in like 2014 or so. BRF Alex, Griff, and baby Ryan at the food truck for lunch.

Oh, dear.

Stalking my mother at the movies, circa 2015.

Well, that was interesting for no one but me. But now I can go and you can tell me what I was up to when you joined us, creeping into the room and finding a folding chair in the back.

Type at you tomorrow, with my bandaged finger. Lord knows I give and I give [wipes hands on apron dramatically].

[Signs off dramatically]
[June, dramatically]

149 thoughts on “June speaks of nothing

I know I am late, and I still have yesterday’s post to read, but I had to chime in here to document when I began to read your wonderful words. I (of course) had no idea about the year, so I went back to my dusty blog and searched. It was February 12, 2010, almost 10 years ago exactly. I remember that Elizabeth Duvivier linked Bye Bye, Pie because you had just purchase a painting. She was still writing in her blog Blue Poppy–her current blog is Mystic Vixen, although she doesn’t write often. I read that post of yours and kept going backwards because it was so good. Siren was a frequent commenter, and I remember going and reading her whole blog too. Letha and Amish Annie were characters in the comments–I still miss them–along with Sadie, and Paula H & B which took me ages to figure out what H & B stood for. You were in Greensboro and still married to Marvin–who would still “make his move” which still makes me laugh. You used to do a series–something Wednesdays–where you would have a whiteboard and answer questions? I can’t remember but they were funny! Wisdom Wednesdays? Anyway. I remember when someone gave advice or something like that and you said something to the effect of, “Can’t you just say ‘Lovely post, June’ and leave it at that?” I have always been a good direction follower. I still love reading your words, and I am especially thankful today that you moved me to revisit myself 10 years ago. It was nice to revisit that old person I once was.

Lovely post, lovely June!

2. L. in CA says:

Hi June,

I started reading your blog when you were married to Marvin and adopted Edsel. … or was that when you got Lu??? I dunno cuz I have also read through “Bye Bye Pie” and the wandering threads of your life are tangled up in my brain. And I adored all your writing… every phase. Ha.

3. In 2016 I asked 5 of my favourite bloggers to answer 5 questions, one of which was this: “Do you have a #1 must-see, can’t-wait-till-later blog right now (not a relative or close friend, though it can be themed and does not have to be a personal blog; of course, my blog is disqualified so my feelings cannot be hurt — hee!), and why does it keep you coming back for more?”

Your blog Ms June was recommended and it’s been a staple of my online reading ever since. I prefer a very personal, virtually daily blog, and they are few and far between, missy. At least, the ones that keep me coming back for more are. I’ve blessed my friend many times for introducing me to you. You’re one of a kind, that’s for sure, and you do make me laugh out loud all the time, and what’s not to love about that?

Reading other people’s comments has made me realize just how much history I missed! But c’est la vie; you’re a wordy girl – you never disappoint – every one of your entries is satisfying.

During your recovery, I think you should work on your book.

Kate

4. Luanne says:

I started reading when you were bye bye buy and worked at a church- married to Marvin.

I started reading when you were bye bye buy and worked at a church.

6. Mary Ellen from Napa says:

It was in the days of yore, you were married to Marvin and living in Burbank. Bye bye, buy..such hilarity in those posts I’ve been reading ever since!

7. Malibou says:

You were married to Marvin and it was the day you got Henry. I found you because I miss spelled Dick and Jane as June. By the way, I don’t recommend you type just Dick and Jane into your search bar. I was trying to find Dick and Jane fabric so I could make my son Henry a baby quilt.

8. Worker Bee says:

I can’t recall exactly when I started reading. I know you were no longer with Marvin. I do recall you dating Dick Whitman. I am going to have to go back and read some old entries to see when I started! Maybe I will just start at the beginning!

Thank you for continuing to write! You are hilarious, I adore your pets, and this group helps me feel less weird. Reading the (not) blog is truly one of the highlights of my day!

I started reading you on Purple Clover (that site sure changed) and followed your “About Me” links or something like that which took me to your blog Bye Bye Pie. You were mid-Ned. I couldn’t stop reading and laughing and read all the way back through the archives.

CommandoBarbie

10. Hawkmomma says:

I was obsessed with personal finance blogs and found you from Blogging Away Debt, I think. I was so sad for you when you broke your spending fast! I think it was for a CD and some shoes… I also remember thinking I’d quit reading when you announced your new focus was going to be food with Bye, bye pie! Yet, here I still am. I was living overseas and I remember hoping would you’d post before it was time for me to pick my kids up from school. Now I live in Texas and my kids are grown up!

11. Liz says:

Since you ran that marathon. Long time reader.

12. bibliomama2 says:

It was last month and I have no idea who those people are. I can’t even remember how I got here. I might have been high.

Why in the world do you have a topless photo of your own self? Are you afraid you’ll forget what they look like? 😂
    I started reading in the TinyTown days. Like everyone else I quickly backed up to the beginning and read straight through. I found you from the blog roll (remember those?) of a close friend who now lives with Jesus because cancer is stupid. She had the best giggle and we used to laugh together about your posts.
    I heart this blog/not-blog so bad! It’s part of my life, and it’s definitely seen me through rough patches. When life sucked, I knew I had one thing per day that would make me laugh.
    Thank youuuu, Junie!

14. Another Unruly-Haired Person says:

No time to read comments until tonight, but just wanted to say that I’ve been reading since you were married and still had Francis. Yay Francis and his angry chair!
    Maybe “house” brought up your topless photo because it had been labeled “brick house.”

15. Georgia says:

The first time I read you (I think) you were going to Drag Queen Bingo that day.

I’ve been reading since the Bye Bye Buy days. I think I found you from a comment you left on Miss Doxie’s blog way back when she was with Dukay, of the corduroy duck pants. Never thought he was good enough for Leigh (and I was right). My favorite posts of yours were from the church lady times, so funny! When I read that you and Marvin were splitting, I gasped and tumbled off my exercise bike. Why you are not self publishing a book and making millions of $ is beyond me.

He totally wasn’t good enough for her.

2. Worker Bee says:

I have been wondering how I found the blog and I think I found it through Miss Doxie as well. I miss her blog, but I am happy to see she is doing well!

17. pcb says:

I have no idea when I started reading but definitely in the Marvin days and you had Francis still. However, I adored you immediately and stampeded off to your very first post and read them all in order until I was caught up. I can honestly say I have read every single post you’ve made on the not blog and thank you for all of that entertainment.

18. FL Laura says:

I started reading when you were with Marvin and had Talu. Wish I could remember how I found you. I read the archives at some point and would love to again. I’ve cried over every pet loss and friend/neighbor. Missed and worried about you when you were gone. Thank you for all the laughs!

I thought I might be coming to Greensboro in June (now canceled) and kept thinking a highlight would be seeing you. And if I did, should I say hello?

I’m the age of your mother and have a house of pets. You would love every one of them. Edsel channels my former Sawyer except his pointy ears. My son used to live in a mill town elsewhere in NC so I feel like I know your hood. He had a PB who also died of lymphoma. I’m always connecting to your stories in some way.

19. Karen says:

I started reading when you lived in Tiny Town. I’m incredibly grateful for the glimpse you give us into your life. You encourage me, inspire me and have even allowed me to think differently about some things. Thank you for sharing your gift with us. I live in Raleigh and look for you every time we pass through Greensboro. (I secretly hope I will see you in the wild). I rarely comment because I’m intimidated by your clever and witty readers. Please know that I will pray for you and your upcoming surgery.

20. Leanne in Greenville NC says:

I started reading when Talu was just a puppy dog.

21. Karen K in Portland says:

I started reading your not blog back when it was a blog and you were married to Marvin. I first found you because were whining about bad grammar (misused apostrophes, I think) and I was soon hooked because of your brilliant writing. And cats.

22. dgirl89 says:

I started reading your blog post-Marvin and pre-Ned. I went back and caught up with the archives. I found out about you when I was shopping in Kit’s Greensboro store. She said you were hilarious and you are!
    I saw you and Ned and Dick Whitman at the Carolina Theatre one night but I didn’t approach you because I didn’t want to be intrusive. I did meet you in person because I bought your gossip bench. I mourned not having my Mother’s (the those darn shoes Mother) so when yours was offered, I snapped it up.
    Somehow I figured out where Tinytown was. Then, you were blogging about getting sidewalks in your neighborhood and that very day I was driving on that main road and saw the sidewalks being installed and THEN I recognized your house from a picture you put on your blog! I was an accidental stalker that day.
    Thanks for all the humor, the nostalgia, the introspection, and lovely pictures you paint using your words every day.

23. I wish I remember how I found you. I had a list of blogs I read back in the day. I want to say you were in the beginning of Pie when I found you. Marvin was there. I won’t tell you how much of you I read before realizing why Marvin Gardens sounded so familiar and also once I figured that out how much later it was I thought that maybe June was a nom de plume. Nothing gets past me.

24. yetanotherkelly says:

Lemme see, I can’t quite remember the year, maybe 2008-ish but another blogger I had been reading was up for some kind of Humor Blogger award and when I went to the site to vote, I decided to read the other nominees and well, that other blogger did NOT get my vote because you were MUCH funnier and I’ve been a Faithful Reader ever since. In fact, you are the only blog/not blog I still read to this day and your posts are the one thing I actually look forward to every day. I did go back and read Bye Bye Buy and was really impressed that you (mostly) stuck to your goal and saved so much money by not spending. One of these days, I need to go and read Bye Bye Pie from the beginning. I missed all the Tiny Town years.

I love your blog so much and even though we have never met and probably never will, I think of (and refer to) you as My Friend June. Thank you for letting us into your life.

25. Tam says:

I found Bye Bye Buy while searching for cheap living as I was about to quit my job and I was very panicky. It seems like the first post was about your dilemma in coloring your hair. I think you and Marvin had words about this and he thought you should just do without and your thoughts were more of the, do I buy color from a box or just go to the salon. I remember thinking, wow I never considered these type of sacrifices. That blog really did help in facing the expenditures that are so everyday that it never occurred to me that they really add up. It seem crazy that it has been that long.

26. Kim now in AR says:

I started reading back when you were in Tiny Town and working at that church. I love all the pet stories, missing photogenic Henry and MIA Winston still. I was afraid of Frances but loved his “darling” hats! Was team Marvin way longer than I should have been especially when he split on surgery day. I have almost always been a lurker and my life now is so far away from where I was when I found you in Tiny Town. Thank you for all the stories you have kept me sane.

27. Geeky Girl with Glasses says:

I cant’ remember exactly when I found your blog, but I think it must have been around 2008? You and the Marv were still married. You continue to make me laugh and I look forward to your blog every Monday through Friday (I read you when I’m at work).

Keep on keepin’ on, Coot.

28. Becky says:

I’ve been a FR since your Bye Bye Buy days. I was moving and getting a new job the same time you moved to Tiny Town. I was getting divorced when you were getting divorced. Crazy! It seemed like we had the same life. When you took your break I was so sad–actually teary. I checked all the time to see if you were back. Thank you for entertaining us daily! My lunch hour would not be the same without you.

29. Mrs Gumby says:

Dear June,
    I started reading your blog shortly before you got Edsel. His “No Balls” party was a classic post. I also remember being furious with Marvin for leaving you before your surgery.

I began reading when you and Marvin were married and living in your house, fmr. It was before Edsel and before Fran was photographed wearing hats and footwear, courtesy of Just Paula. Siren was a daily commenter at the time. My mom told me about your blog, but not sure how she found it. I was hooked, but waited until I was brave enough to comment and I haven’t shut up since.

I’m glad I didn’t chicken out of meeting Beverly and Letha for your remote birthday party. After first meeting Tee at her favorite BBQ joint, we later joined Beverly and Fay for the welcome to Atlanta airport party for Hulk and Hulkette. Next came Beverly’s famous BBP parties where I met PJ, Laurie and Anita. But my claim-to-fame was hosting June on her trip through Atlanta on her way to New Orleans. And all this happened because I was finally brave enough to comment on your BBP blog.

1. teesmithii says:

Sadie, that BBQ joint burned a couple of years ago. A sad day.
      Tee

2. elsiejb says:

I miss Siren. She got into gaming big time and became well-known in that community. Google Sirentist. Nothing for the past several years that I see, though.

31. Leeuna says:

I started reading when you first moved to Tiny Town. I went back and read all of the older posts and also your Bye-Bye-Buy blog. When you and Marvin split up I was devastated It was just like when Sonny and Cher got divorced. Thank you for sharing your life with us and bringing us a smile each day.

32. Lori in Texas says:

I’ve been a loyal reader since Bye Bye Buy. I was fascinated by your year of no spending (was it a year?) and don’t know why I remember posts about eyeliner and broken shoes. I was with you (figuratively) in Tiny Town and loved hearing about your job at the church and the sweet people you met there.

33. Linda .. the Aussie one says:

I met you pre-blog. You were living in LA and married to Marvin. I started following your blog when you began Bye Bye Buy and have followed you ever since. You are the first thing I read every morning and I actually drink my first coffee of the day while doing it.. I hope you feel special now

34. LisaPie says:

I found you way back in 2007. I read you every day. I used to comment way more than I currently do, but i am constantly babysitting my grandbabies and don’t always have uninterrupted minutes to do so.

My one claim to fame is that i coined the name Plarvin for ol’ plaid wearing marvin.

I have always been on Team June but secretly i was also on Team Winston. He had to have been the most dignified cat in the whole wide world.

35. bamacarol says:

I started when the Nester mentioned your blog and have been FR ever since. Got another girl at work hooked too and when we want to emphasize something we both say “MARVIN HAS SPOKEN’. I’ve also gone back and read from Bye Bye Buy. And I am attempting a no-buy year but it hasn’t gone too well so far. At least I’m spending considerably less now.

1. Anne says:

Same! I found you from the Nester. I have no idea what year it was. I know you were married to Marvin.

36. Beth from the woods a waybacker says:

So, a cowgirl band aid is all it takes to type funny. You sure get your moneys worth out of those band aids with all your funny.
    You were married to Marvin and I remember you getting Edsel and naming him. And gigs. Band gigs that drug , dragged on and on.

37. Robyn says:

I’ve been reading since 2008ish and though I never ever comment because I never have anything fascinating to add, you’re the high point of my day. I laughed so hard at some of the family stories the other day that I nearly passed out.

Really?! I didn’t know you read me! Oooo, I’m star struck RN!

1. Robyn says:

Every day! Sometimes I won’t allow myself to read that day’s post ’til I’ve done something I don’t want to (usually vacuum). You’re my reward!

Yay!!! I will send you a kitten as a real reward. Something you don’t have enough of.

1. Robyn says:

Definitely need more of those.

38. Jeanie Herkomer says:

I remember that the first blog post I read was about the no balls ball after, you know, Edsel was neutered. Been here ever since and even went in reverse and read all your previous entries, including Bye Bye Pie. Also too, you look just like Kate Middleton in the bunny phone case picture. I think it’s the cocked (excuse the expression) eyebrow.

1. Jeanie Herkomer says:

Oops! …including Bye Bye Buy.

39. FR Tammy in Atlanta says:

I’ve been reading since Tiny Town…not sure how long ago that was. Have been a faithful reader (FR) ever since!

We lived in TinyTown August 2007–April 2008. God, that’s a long time ago.

I started reading you when you were married to Marvin (I miss him) and I think I got here from The Nester? Maybe I’m just senile?
    Anyway, I remember not being able to figure out how everyone was wanting to be on Team Francis, no offense to him. I used to read your blog in the middle of the night and I woke my husband up particularly to tell him you and Marvin were divorcing and I was crushed. He was all “do you know what time I get up for work and who the hell is June and Marvin?” Sigh.
    Also, I have a deep and abiding love for Henry and no one can change it – that was a great cat.
    At least when I went to my husband crying that Lu was on her last walk with your coworkers that he at least recognized the name. A couple of days later he told me to stop being weepy about Lu and get my shit together. Can you believe that? (seriously, he’s a saint because I’m a handful and I don’t just mean chubby).

Who the hell is June and Marvin! heeeee.

I still remember the day I realized you weren’t really named June and Marvin. I walked around in a daze all day. How in the world MARVIN GARDENS didn’t clue me in is beyond even my comprehension.

God love ya. “And her name is June Cutoff Cash!”

41. Julie says:

I’ve been reading since Bye Bye Pie. My friend told me about your blog, and I didn’t even know what a blog was. I was instantly hooked.When I started reading you worked with the GWDNGM (I think that was the acronym for Girl Who Does Not Get Me or something like that?). I went back and binge read all the archives and Bye Bye Buy and have been reading ever since! I rarely ever comment though. I think it’s the first time on this “new” site.

OH MY GOD, the Girl Who Doesn’t Get Me. Those were SO FUNNY, and then one day at that job, someone was all, “I found your blog!” and I had to scream home and sweatily delete any reference to the GWDNGM, lest they tell her and I get fired. Oh my god, she found me so not funny at all. She had 6 million pictures of her kids in her office, several of them ballet poses from dance class, and I would make a point of emulating the poses when I came in to ask her about work. “Elizabeth, do you have the blah blah pages?” I’d ask, while doing an arabesque. She would 100% not acknowledge my outstretched arm and pointed toe.

1. Julie says:

Ballet poses! Dying!

42. Suzanne Robinson says:

I don’t remember how I found your blog but I do remember the first post I read: you took Talu for a walk in some park and she was being “serene with the fishies”. I laughed so hard that I kept coming back to read what you wrote.

43. Sharon says:

I know I’ve been reading you since my last job, so that’s over ten years.
    Maybe 2007 or 2008 even. I think either Robyn of Love and Hisses (formerly Bitchypoo) had a comment from you, either that or mentioned you and I followed a link and have been with you pretty much daily since then.

Oh my god. Love and Hisses is Bitchypoo?!

44. fancypance says:

I was reading you back in the June Cutoff Cash days. I used to have a blog too at that time, I was a thrilled when you commented on it once. I haven’t posted to it since at least 2013, because I grew sick of my own self. I’ve been reading (and rarely commenting ) for a long time, like a real creep.

45. I feel guilty to admit that I have only been reading for a year or so. I don’t know what bye-bye buy is or tiny town is. I enjoy reading and hate being one of the last to comment but with my kids and my babysitting kids my mornings are hairy at best.

46. PJ says:

I’ve been a faithful reader for 132 months. I found you through my godchild who was a freshman in college and would use our home as her place to depressurize. I would hear her snort laughing across the room and she told me about this blog with June and how the cats called her Big Hair and I was hooked. Said 30 year old now married with baby has one of your lemon crate pictures hanging on her wall. I bid on it when you were moving and gave it to her because she was such a fan.
    You were with Marvin and Fran was my alter-ego because I always had to be such a nice person, I remember a picture taken on Marvin’s birthday morning when he was walking into the kitchen and it was still dark. He looked about 12 years old and I think you might have even said something to that effect. I still miss and like Marvin. I remember Dick Whitman. I’m quite sure I saw him in the grocery store back in the day and nearly yelled out, “Dick!” before I realized that wasn’t him name and I was a stranger and it would be intrusive.

Oh, he would have LOVED it. He was recognized once somewhere and said it was “intoxicating.”

1. PJ says:

I miss seeing his polka dot shirt.

1. teesmithii says:

I also miss his mom. RIP.
          Tee

47. Katie says:

Its all pretty fuzzy, but I think I got to you from a link from Victoria Fedden’s Wide Lawns and Narrow minds blog. I think there was a reference to lots of cat pictures and I stampeded over. I’m not sure how I ever got hooked on Victoria’s blog. I am thinking I started reading Bye Bye Pie around the Tiny Town days, but I went back and read some older posts so I could be confused.

48. Nicole says:

I started reading Bye Bye Pie, and I feel like it was post-Marvin? I think I got here from a weight loss site (or on the recommendation of my Weight Watchers leader, who was awesome even though I stopped going and have gained it all back). I’d forgotten that until another commenter mentioned that there was a weight loss theme at one point. I’ve been a flake as far as commitment goes and actually stopped reading all blogs for a while. When I left you were in the early days of Ned, I think. When I returned, he was in the rear view mirror and Book of June was a thing. In the interim, I’d got divorced, survived breast cancer, and adopted a pre-teen. I was so happy to see that you were still writing (too many of my fave bloggers disappeared and left me wondering what happened), and I have been regularly reading what you post since then.

49. Ruth says:

You had just moved to Tiny Town, but I read all the back issues of bye bye buy before I got there.

50. PLS says:

I believe I started reading you post-Marvin, pre-Ned, and I too went back and read all your previous posts because I loved your wiring and found you hilarious (still do). I can’t remember how I found your blog, but I too love reading about people and their daily lives, so thanks for sharing yours. Enjoy the rain today.

1. Beth from the woods says:

I know it was probably a slip , but I too love June’s wiring.

51. Joan in NV says:

I THINK you were about half way through your bye bye buy year when I found you, but I’m old and my memory’s shot. But I’ve read everything, so does it really matter? I also found Blue Skies and Yellow Dogs around that time. I miss what’s her name. Still think you should write a book. You know, in your spare time. By the way, I usually read you while I’m eating breakfast. More than once, I’ve spit my mush onto the iPad.

Colleen! I loved her blog.

1. Lisa. Not THAT LIsa says:

I LOVED her and her yellow dogs. Her dog had The Paw Cancer, just like ours. She was renovating her garage when last we saw her.

I stalk her on social. She’s doing well!

52. amarabray says:

You had just started Bye bye pie and were still referencing the bye bye buy blog. I still giggle thinking about Marvin and the Verizon people out looking for your dog. Was it Talu? Anyway I love how you can take just the everyday things that happen to you every day and make them funny. Thank you.

Oh my god, yes! The whole neighborhood was out looking for Talu, and she came home on her own, her leash dragging behind her. She was such a beagle escape asshole then. Getting hit by that car was the best thing that ever happened.

1. teesmithii says:

This is one of my favorite posts. I still giggle when I think about it. It was a side splitter.
        Tee

53. Capelover says:

I started sometime while you and Marvin were still married. I suffered terribly through that breakup, always hoping just maybe….. Of course I had to backtrack and start at the beginning because it was always so interesting. Thanks for being the reason I turn on the computer first thing every day. There’s always something to enjoy!

54. Steph from Fl says:

You were married to Marvin when I first started reading. I can not remember how I found you. It always amazes me that you remember so many details about so many things. I would like to blame my cancer meds for my bad memory but well actually yes let’s blame them.

55. Amber says:

You were with Marvin and I believe Fran the cat was still alive. The black and white one with the attitude, or was she grey? Maybe the grey one I’m thinking of is Mr. Horkimer (I probably didn’t get the name right, he had passed but you spoke of him.) I hope I’m not mixing up cats. I remember you had a poll of what team would we be on of people and animals in your house and I was definitely team Fran.

Francis was black and white and evil all over he won that team vote BY A LANDSLIDE and you are all nuts.

56. boomersmommasmomma says:

My daughter told me about you, she would read you everyday and I would ask wtf are you laughinh at, her reply would always be June.
    So then I started, it was right after you moved to tinytown but I immediately went back from the beginning. Faithful ever since.

57. teesmithii says:

I’ve been reading since almost the beginning. You and Marvin were living in LA and had just committed to not spending money for one year. I don’t recall how I found you, maybe I Googled frugal living. I was immediately hooked with your writing. I followed you all the way across the US to Tiny Town. By the way, I was watching a Make Over Guy YouTube and they were featuring a lady from Tiny Town, I couldn’t believe it! I want to say her name is Beverly Wilson. Do you know her? She looked amazing after the makeover. Obviously, I didn’t stop following you at Tiny Town. You are an amazing writer. Keep writing, my dear.
    Tee

I DO know a really pretty woman from TinyTown whose name I think was Beverly, but I’m not certain. Most of the people from TinyTown unfriended me when I began sleeping with someone from there. I WAS SEPARATED. Anyway.

58. Mother says:

I first became connected to you in October, 1964. I got to meet you in person in July, 1965.

I was born on a Friday right before 5:00. In other words, I am happy hour.

59. It must have been in 2014 sometime — I went back to the archives to see if I could figure it out. I think I heard about Bye Bye Buy somewhere, and from there, decided to check out whatever you were currently blogging about.

60. Barbara says:

I started reading when you were about to start your current job and just starting to date Ned. Also you had to get a cat tree because the dogs were harrassing Lily and Iris. And you had been reading a lot and was going to miss doing that because of going back to work.

Were they? I know Talu used to hump the cats. That’s funny to think of, because Eds is so gentle with the cats now. I guess he was following the leader. Also, he was more of a puppy then and now he’s an old man whose face gets FRICKING WHITER every time I look at him. Also? Deaf. He’s going deaf. The other day a friend walked all the way into my house and neither the dog nor I heard it cause I was running water. But, like, Eds has, you know, EARS. So much ears. Good watchdogging, Eds.

61. Terri Cooper says:

You were married to Marvin and had Tallulah. I have read all the archives.

62. Bettydh says:

I found you when you lived in Tinytown. You were with Marvin and before Talu. I went back and read everything from the start. I can”t quit you June!

63. Carol in Mpls says:

It was in the Pie Days. Married to Marvin, in the ‘Boro and your house, fmr. Work was somewhat up/down. Do not remember the pet inventory.

But, really, I got to you through that awesome art print from Pace Gallery in Columbus, the one your parents hung, amongst the clowns and such. That was my first piece of grownup art after setting up my post-college apartment. I just felt bonded to you…

Trova. At Pace Columbus. Oh my god.

1. Carol in Mpls says:

See, still connected. Hah! Oh, and FYI, my art collection has expanded and improved…

2. Carol in Mpls says:

I just Googled it again, and your blog piece on it comes up!

Oh my god, for YEARS I looked at that depressing poster.

1. Carol in Mpls says:

Not really like having Vermeers around, as we did. Along with Thai temple rubbings, antique German clocks (and more clocks, and more clocks, all set to chime separately), vintage rattan furniture (now mine!), sterling silver flatware, and more. My parents had eclectic tastes in art and such, me too..

Speaking of depressing art, let’s not forget the life-sized action figure of Eunice Kennedy.

64. Beverly says:

I can’t remember exactly when I started reading. You were already in Greensboro and had Talu, but it was way before Edsel and your divorce. Then I met Sadie and Letha in person for a remote birthday party. Then I started throwing remote birthday parties for you at my house and met Tee, Laurie, Fay, Anita and PJ in person. I also invited my neighbors and had to explain why we were having a birthday party for someone we’ve never met and who wasn’t at the party. Then you introduced me to Marvin after he moved to Atlanta and we went out one time. It was about the same time he met his now wife and they seem very happy together. I’m glad it worked out for them. All of this is to say thanks, June! You have brought some good people into my life and I adore you and your writing.

65. lisajay99 says:

Started when you lived in LA…

66. Pamela, lurker from Indiana says:

I’ve been reading since you were married to Marvin and there were lots of daily bloggers. You are the only daily blogger I continue to read! I went back and read all of Bye Bye Buy. During you blogging hiatus I checked every day to see if you’d returned. Please never quit again!

I remember the exact day I started reading. Miep Geis passed away (January aught 10) and your blog was suggested at another site. Your title was about reading other people’s diaries. I was hooked. Read all the archives and have been faithful to only you, Coot.

Oh my god, I love reading other people’s diaries. It’s part of my fascination with reading about people’s everyday stuff every day. Also, Miep Geis and I are very similar.

68. GS in Oregon says:

I think I started somewhere in the early Bye Bye Pie days. Then I went back and read all the Bye Bye Buy stuff too. Was hooked. I don’t know how you keep giving this family (love that) so much new and fresh but obviously its a gift and I’m just going to accept it.

[ plunks potatoes on table dramatically]

You were 6 months into Byebyebuy. I don’t think you had moved to Tinytown yet. I loved your blog so much I went back and binge-read the previous 6 months, back before bingeing was a thing. Don’t ever quit us, June.

70. Joan in Ohio says:

Here since Bye Bye Buy. I think you came up in a frugal living/compact living search or something. I was fascinated by your whole story back then. Turned into a superfan of your writing.

I started reading you during Bye, Bye Pie, stopped and came back later. I stopped reading blogs when I got more social with people in the horror/death hag/cemetery/ doll groups I joined. I don’t remember when/ where/ how I came back but I am mighty glad I did and I am here to stay. These post and FBOJ are the highlights of my online experience these days.

I was not even online on a regular basis until February or March of 2008 when we got our first home computer.

72. I’ve been reading since you were bye bye buy. Your non-blog is my favorite – your writing is wonderful. Thank you!!

73. Gretchen says:

I started reading mid-Marvin, I think. After California. Probably right around the time you got Lu. I have to ask – did your company switch to Workday? Because Workday is the devil and now every time someone says their company changed to a system that doesn’t work well, I assume it’s Workday.

No! It’s Work-something else, not Workday.

1. Gretchen says:

That’s good – it might work eventually! I’m beginning to believe Workday is a cult/scam.

1. Megan says:

Oh shit, we are changing ERP programs here in the next few months. I’m in the Purchasing department, and my boss and I compiled a short list of contenders. Workday is one of them, but now I’m thinking I need to go on ahead and delete that.

1. Gretchen says:

I’ll just say I have not heard from anybody who thinks Workday “works” as it was sold to them. Be sure to ask lots of pointed questions about end-user experience with whatever they are selling you. It’s a big system with lots of stuff but ends up being clunky, slow and not very flexible from what I’ve seen.

2. Tammy says:

OMG, Workday. I blame that stupid, stupid program for my increased drinking. It is okay now, four plus years later, but when we first rolled it out, I wanted to kill someone on a daily basis. Then, I would go home and drink wine.

Well this is embarrassing. I started reading you in late 2008 or early 2009. I instantly became Your Biggest Fan (in my mind), so when my parents suddenly and inconveniently died, I felt compelled to tell you so you wouldn’t wonder why your Newest and Biggest Fan had disappeared. You were very gracious and kind. It has bothered me for ten years (and counting) that I honestly thought you’d notice one less reader. Also, I was working at the First National Bank of Assholes (still bitter) and they didn’t have or allow the internet, so I was forced to follow you on my equally barbaric Blackberry. And sometimes I couldn’t read/comment until after work. Those were dark dark days.

I remember you writing me to say they’d died one right after the other! And that you told your kids to “look alive” at one of the funerals.

1. PJ says:

Look alive!

OMG, I did say that to Jackie!! I wasn’t even thinking. She was just sitting and people were starting to arrive at the wake.

Yes, my parents died twelve days apart. I went from cherished only child to orphan. Claps hands briskly: let’s move on to cheerier topics!

2. PJ says:

Paula, I did the same thing once. I was going to be away for a week or more where there wouldn’t be any internet access and I told June why I wouldn’t be commenting for a week. She laughed in her blog and said it was like PJ was calling in sick. I looked for all of you each day and I figured she looked for all of us, too. I guess it was presumptuous that she would notice one of her tens of readers was gone.

75. DanaLynn says:

I have been around since before you found sweet Talu. I remember you bringing home a different little dog (shortly before finding Talu) and after a few days, Marvin decided he was allergic to it. Did that happen or did I dream it? Because I also remember the day you brought Talu home, I was thinking that either Marvin or the dog would need to find a new home! I sure hope I didn’t dream that because it’s a very vivid memory. Anyway, thank you for writing and sharing your life with us all these years. I don’t comment often, but I do appreciate you!

We did have another dog, for like two days. I was so terribly devastated about that. I kept crying and wasn’t able to eat. I felt so guilty. Then a reader said HE’D take that first dog, so I called the shelter and Meadowlark Lemon had already been adopted THANK GOD. Just maybe a week later, there was Talu on the side of that road. Marvin has a dog now. I’ll bet he wasn’t really allergic to that first dog and it was something else making him react. But it all worked out, because Talu.

76. Sandra says:

I started reading you when you had the bye bye buy blog. I was immediately hooked. I remember being so impressed with your determination to not spend money on things unless whatever the thing was had run out. You had a deodorant that smelled like babydoll. I’ve been here ever since. I cannot put into words how much I have benefited from the blog and then non blog. From learning about curly girl to „meeting“ your faithful readers and building connections online and in real life. Lots of advice, support, tips and tricks, spelling and grammar information and most of all getting to enjoy your writing, your sense of humor and your overall fabulous self!

Oh my god, I can still smell that deodorant that smelled like a new doll. And I had to use it up because I wasn’t spending. Ugh.

1. teesmithii says:

Didn’t you have a pair of shoes that you wanted to replace, but still had some wear left in them? And shampoo and conditioner you determined to use every drop.
        Tee

77. cherylk says:

I started near the end of the Marvin days. It’s funny because I have no idea how I found you and I wonder all the time what brought me here. The boy was young so I was reading a lot of Mom Blogs but I don’t know how that lead me to you. I’m just glad it did.

It was probably my many mom tips.

78. Betty says:

I began reading when you were living in tiny town. Somehow I found your blog about not spending any money for a year. (except for necessities) I loved it so I kept reading and here we are. We were living in Greensboro when I found your blog and I even went searching for Lu when she went missing. I kind of did a stalkerish thing and figured out where you were. (Sounds kinda creepy even as I type this.) We’ve since moved to AL and have been here almost five years, so you don’t have to worry about me stalking your new place.

To be fair, my old house was right off a busy street, so it’d be easy to stalk me. Ned, after we broke up, used to complain that sometimes one just HAD to pass my house to get places and any time my car wasn’t there he be tortured by where I was and who I was under and so on. Answer: No one. So.

79. Elsie B says:

Early in 2007 you were in California writing Bye Bye Buy when I started reading. Being entertained by you, Marvin, Winston, Frances, and Ruby quickly became my morning habit.

80. gladyswhoisalsobee says:

Lovely post Coot.
    Let’s see it must have been around twenty-aught-seven? You were Bye Bye Buy trying to save money. It was you and Marvin living and loving if the land. I was contemplating blogging and was cruising around looking for examples and found you, Dooce, and Diablo Cody. I dropped the other two like hot potatoes when I found you. It was love at first read.
    So there you are and here I am twelvety years later, still.

81. Lynn says:

I just had my 9 year work anniversary last week. The longest I’ve worked anywhere. I have moved house 5 times in there though. Congrats on 9 years!

In those 9 years, I moved out of my house, in with Ned, back into my house and then into this house. I wonder if HR is sick of me.

82. Helen says:

11 years. So you were still married to Marvin. I was rooting for you guys to be able to stick it out right up until he left you on the day you had the surgery. Then I was just MAD. And I mean mad as if it happened to me. My friend Shelley and I often talk about taking a road trip to stalk you (and kiss your pets) but I don’t have a good track record of speaking when I see celebrities – I usually just freeze so I’d probably just stand there and die. Anyway, thanks for all these years – your not blog feels as fresh today as it did the first day I read it. That’s talent.

Oh my god, you totally should. Nester and Emily did it. And look how famous they got!

1. Helen says:

Listen, don’t put it past us. Shelley has a son living in NC now so you just never know!

1. Shelley B says:

One time when we were driving to Raleigh I texted Helen a picture of the Greensboro sign and mentioned something about taking a detour, LOL. I was outvoted by my husband and dog, who were sick of driving (we were on day two, coming from Texas).

2. DG says:

Well I am here because of you Helen! I first stumbled upon Shelly at My Journey to Fit, I think that was the first blog I read regularly, and from Shelley I got to Helen and from Helen here! So you and Shelley ARE famous already!!!! When I first started reading I think Helen linked to it because you had a funny post about you and Ned as you were in the early stages of dating. But of course I went back to the beginning of when you went the year without spending, your voyage to tiny town, end of Marvin, etc….. you know your own history. But man, when I first found you I didn’t get a lick of work done for a week until I was all caught up! June, making people bad employees everywhere!

1. Helen says:

Well, that’s a little crazy ! Now I feel as if I need to be on my best behavior haha

83. turdyferg says:

I started reading when you lived in Tinytown.

84. Kerrin says:

I started reading you around your honey walnut anniversary .You were still married to Marvin (obv) And I remember that post was one of the 1st I ever read and it made me laugh so hard.
    It was when the blog was already bye bye pie, but you were still talking a lot about bye bye buy.
    Before you stole Talu, and way before Edsel. I’m trying to remember who your cats were then – I know you still had Francis, but I can’t remember any of the others.

Been a faithful reader ever since.
    Thank you, June!

Ruby and Winston, I think, were the cats du jour then. Oh my god, was that when Marvin got onion bagels and HONEY WALNUT CREAM CHEESE? Because now I’m pissed off all over again.

Gurl. I’ve been here since the Bye Bye Buy days. And then we became a weight loss not-blog (Hence Bye Bye Pie) and now here we are. So basically I was here when Kirk Douglas was born.

Love you long time June.

Damn! You were here back when I wrote this in olde English.

86. Megan says:

I don’t remember exactly what was going on in your life at that time, because I’ve been reading you for…10 years? Have you been writing for that long? I didn’t read the OG blog centered on not spending money, but I think I somehow found you shortly thereafter. You were still with Marvin, and the split from him wasn’t for a while.

I’m also still taking partial credit for the genius name of this blog, and tossing it out as an idea when you asked for suggestions.

Oh, was that you?! That really WAS a good suggestion. And to answer your Q, I’ve been writing a blog since December 2006. Which according to my maths makes it 29 years.

1. Cabber says:

I can not hear the Lady Antebellum song with the line “ It’s a quarter after one, I’m all alone and I need you now” without thinking of you and Marvin. You referenced that song at some point pre divorce, and I used to actually get sad by proxy when it came on.

I know I found you via Miss Doxie. I also read the Nester and found you around the time she and her friend stalked you and found your house.

I am so glad your still writing, and I wish you could convince Miss Doxie to start again. Or she could just post cartoon dogs……