I ordered more groceries to be delivered to me, because I still can’t lift more than 10 pounds. For the first time in my life, other than a few random “I’m having a party” or “I’m hosting Thanksgiving” situations, I had to move things around the cupboards to make room for all the food.

This was disconcerting to Milhous, who likes to leap into the corner cupboard that has a Lazy Susan in it. He jumps in there fast enough to make it spin and he rides around in it. However, now it is crammed full of canned goods. The can-cans mean he can’t-can’t.

I have so much damn food in this house I considered taking the books out of some of my kitchen cupboards.

So I guess we’re all planning to hunker down now. It won’t just be me. I look forward to what everyone else’s brain does, because I have thought of the stupidest things ever.

I did come up with an invention and tell me what you think. I thought of starting a website that would be kind of like one of those websites you go to to take a personality test? Only it’s about what kind of dog you should get. I don’t want to encourage people buying purebreds, so what I would do instead is work with some sort of dog expert to come up with a really involved personality test and the results would be “you’re a German Shepherd, boxer, pug.” It would be based on your temperament and your activity level and that sort of thing.

Then there would be other parts of the website where you could talk with other people who were the same type you were. You could show your dog and talk about how that dog did or did not work with your personality.

Am I having some sort of secluded-person mania or is that actually a cute idea?

Speaking of dogs, though, I had an upsetting experience last night. It was probably more upsetting for Edsel than me. As you know, he has the congestive heart failure. We are scheduled to go back in April for a checkup. Meanwhile, he’s been responding beautifully to his heart medication. When he first got diagnosed, I was too afraid to give him any exercise at all. I was just constantly on the lookout for him to fall over and die. Eventually, I got used to the idea and we started slowly doing exercise again. He loves to chase Blu, and you should’ve seen how tentatively I threw it for him. I would literally sort of roll it across the ground once and then go back inside.

Eventually, it got to the point where he would chase Blu for five minutes. He just is so happy when he does it and he loves it and he was acting just fine.

Then last night he came inside and collapsed. He got a really glassy look in his eyes, wouldn’t stop panting, and wouldn’t stop pacing. Then his legs just gave out from under him.

What surprised me was how calm I remained. I didn’t want him to panic, so I stayed really quiet and just held his head and whispered to him. After a few minutes he got up and was wobbly but OK.

Naturally, I made a vet appointment for him. We go Monday. I don’t think I’m going to throw Blu for him at all in the meantime.

Anyway, that sums me up. I took all those groceries into the kitchen and put them away, and then put away a load of laundry and started a new batch, but then I started to feel distinctly unwell and so now I’m just lying here talking to you.

Here’s an art shot of my pear tree. I’m deep, man. I’m an artist.

Talk to you soon, when I can carve out time in my busy go go go schedule.

36 thoughts on “Shut-in June

1. L. in CA says:

Hi June, I think you’ve got a great idea about the website. Best wishes for health and happiness for you, Edz, and kitties.

I second the need lazy susan veedeo idea too.
    Poor Edz.

3. With regard to the website, it might make a nice partnership opportunity for a reputable pet food company (has money and would be a good altruistic project for them) and local animal rescue organizations (have dogs needing homes). If you found out your matching dog personality, you could choose to get a notification when a dog matching those characteristics became available in your area!

Good job being calm for Eds. You were just what he needed.

Ooooo!! Yes!!

4. Kate says:

Poor Edsel. And I know it’s hard for you to watch him get old. My 11-year old lab, whose mission in life is to follow me everywhere even if I am two steps away, struggles to get up now because his hips are giving him trouble. It breaks my heart because all he wants to do is go where I am going, even if it’s just to the bathroom.

In case you were wondering, the pug doesn’t give a shit what I’m doing and happily snores away all day.

Is this Pickles and Onyx’s mom??

1. Kate says:

Yes it is!!! They’re still kickin!

Aw! I’m so glad!!

This sounds so scary! Give Edsel a nice snuggle from me.

Lovely post, lovely June!

6. Mrs Gumby says:

Dear June,
    Today I had to take my dog (80 lb lab/malamute/ shepherd mix) to the vet for her annual vaccinations. She hates going to the vet’s office. Daphne did very well today and did not growl at the poor old gimpy vet (retired large animal vet who has had 3 back surgeries). So, I drove through McDonald’s today and bought a 4 piece Chicken Nugget Happy Meal. Daphne thought the nuggets were incredibly delicious! Yes, I borrowed your idea, June. Daphne thinks “Ant Joon” is really smart!

7. Beige says:

Awwww, Eds! I know you made him feel better.

8. pendy says:

Poor Edz and I am sorry because I know how scary that is. When you eat all that food Ima need a veeeeedio of Milhous riding on the lazy Susan.

9. Just me, Vee says:

My beagle had CHF, too, and used to collapse, pant heavily, and then finally return to normal. The first few times he did it I remember being certain his time was up. But he went on for a long time having these spells and then recovering. They are frightening, but then they pass.

10. banne4 says:

Hoping that you and Eds will get well soon. So maybe you can work from home later when you must work? Who knows how long this will go on… it is costly to those of us who work privately…. sigh. I am praying things will improve quickly.

11. Laurie (Lucy's mom) says:

I love your art shot – very clever and witty.

Edsel, I am sending good thoughts. My heart hurts.

I work with the public in a Federal office in NB, Canada. NB just announced Atlantic Canada’s first presumptive case. I think that I need to wear gloves and a paper mask for work. We have been encouraged not to shake hands – today I had my first elbow bump.

12. Dancer says:

I am in deep denial of the maturity and it’s consequences that are among your pets.

We were all ordered to work from home until further notice. Okay by me. Just wonder of i will need to set a calendar reminder to take a shower.

13. PJ says:

Thanks for your posts, June. I’m in another Thank God for Angie’s List phase of my life but I stop by to read and enjoy and admire and then enjoy the comments, too. Every day. It’s an everyday activity I treasure even if I’m missing in action from the comments.

You’re a good dog mom. My heart hurts for Edsel but it sounds like you handled it just right.
    I love the idea of Millhous’s merry-go-round. Good luck with all the cooking.

15. Lisa.Not THAT Lisa says:

As scary as it is to think of them dropping over dead, can you imagine a better way to go? Happily doing exactly what you love and then BAM. My dog fmr., who died a few weeks before Christmas BUT MY HEART IS STILL BROKEN GAH, curled up in her bed and just… died. I was on my computer watching some dumb YouTube video about god knows what and suddenly popped my AirPods out of my ears and said to my husband “I THINK BELLA JUST DIED”. It was like I felt her spirit leave the room. And believe me, I know how weird that sounds, BUT IT’S TRUE. And I probably already told this story here as I find myself repeating things lately. Maybe time for me to curl up in my little bed. ANYWAY the first words out of the vet’s mouth were “do you know how LUCKY you are? Dogs rarely get a chance to die where they are happiest”. And that made me feel just the tiniest bit better.

None of that is to say that I think Edsel is anywhere near the RB. I mean, the “can’t afford the vet, can’t afford the pet” vet told us that she had six weeks to live – she lived six more years. They just don’t know.

I do like the way your brain works in This, Your Convalescence™. Perhaps you need one of those National Awards that allows you to take a year off and just think big thoughts. Does that really exist or is that something I just made up?

Aw. A sad but sweet story.

2. pendy says:

Absolutely the best way to go; I’m hoping for that myself.

The website idea is genius. You could include “rescue traits” like “based on your answers, even though you don’t have any other dogs right now, choose from the group that ‘does well with other dogs and cats’ because that’s a more mellow personality.”

Oh Eds. Well done, Coot. You were exactly what he needed.

I’m such a pushover that I would left the lazy susan empty and let Mils enjoy a spin.
    I’m glad Eds is ok. That’s scary. I’ve had it happen twice to cats. Ya keep your cool while it’s happening, and then flip out when it’s safe.
    Hunker down & enjoy it, Coot!

18. teesmithii says:

Poor Edsel. I don’t know how you stayed calm, but so glad you were able even though you started shaking after it was over. Milhous going round and round just cracked me up. Maybe you are trying to do too much, at one time, too soon. When I had surgery the PT (physical terrorist) wanted me to walk to the end of my driveway and back. I did okay going to the end, but the return trip seemed like a mile, even though it was only 300 feet. I didn’t think I was going to be able to get back to the house and still be standing vertical.
    Tee

My retired RN sister reported a whipper snapper PT (love the terrorist, I must remember that to tell my sister). The PT was pushing her way too hard after a knee replacement even though she kept telling her it was too much too soon.

19. Gretchen says:

Poor Edsel. Give him an extra hug for me. The website sounds cute. I know the AKC or some other sites already do a thing where they match you with the right purebred dog, but it’s not for mutts and as far as I know there is no community chat feature.

20. Jeanie Herkomer says:

I like your idea for a new website. Anything about dogs is right up my alley. I’m sorry that Eds had a sitch and hope it was just a fluke. Also hope you don’t have to lift him.

21. Your mother’s neighbor says:

Oh, it’s so scary about sweet Edsel. Hell know when it’s his time and he’ll let you know. Staying calm and comforting probably helped you as much as it did Eds. Glad you’re feeling well enough to do some stuff, but please don’t push it. 6 weeks is 6 weeks. I’ve had people tell me that on the next-to-last day of the six weeks – BAM – they felt absolutely great. Body healing takes time. You got this!

Feel better, sweet Edsel.

23. Florence says:

Poor Eds. I’m sorry.

Silly me. If only I’d known the lazy Susan cabinets were cat merry-go-rounds. Mine just has boring saucepans and cups and bowls.

24. Lisa Pie in TX where it is blooming! says:

Edsel is such a good boy. I hope they offer some kind of treatment that will help him..

You know how at the bottom of my blog posts it shows you related blog posts? One of the related ones today talks about how I got those daylilies. I just mentioned them the other day. I told you how I went with my neighbor to get the daylilies off the truck. But when I read my blog post, I didn’t go with her to get the lilies off the truck. I planted them with her but I didn’t get them initially. I swear I can see myself getting those damn daylilies. Did I just make this up in my mind and at this point I’m O.J. Simpson being convinced my story is true?

26. debwhosbacktobeingdeb says:

Just reading this got me nervous. I’m so sorry about Edsel, but glad you are taking him in early. I didn’t think I would remain calm when Jessie was having similar issues, but it was like an out of body experience for me – just watching me calmly deal with it and soothing her until she regained consciousness. Once she did, that’s when I internally freaked out.
    They pick up on everything, so I’m glad you didn’t panic. In the disco or at home.

Yeah. I shook later. It was weird.

27. Nicole says:

Oh no! How scary for you and Edsel! Good on you for staying calm. I’d have been a gibbering mess.

28. Leeuna says:

Oh, Edsel…hang in there, Buddy. I laughed at the thought of Milhous going round and round on the Lazy Susan. And your idea for the website is fantastic. I think mine would be a lab-boxer-pitt.